Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

PTAaron’s 2017 JKU

Old 02-16-2021, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to be a big week... my heated LED headlights will be here tomorrow and my trailer hitch (with wiring) will be here Thursday!
Both are supposedly extremely quick and easy installs, so I’ll be knocking those out on Saturday if the weather is decent.

Difficulty is that I’m in an apartment at the moment, have to make arrangements to use the garage at the ex wife’s place since that’s where most of my tools still are (until I get a new garage of my own).
Old 02-16-2021, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The trailer hitch is a very quick install. Running the wiring takes the longest amount of time and even that isn't bad since it goes from the driver's tail light down and across to the hitch.

Headlights take a pinch longer as you pull the grille out then the retaining rings around the headlight and then un-clip the old and start back in with the new. Still not bad, just not as fast IMO.
The following users liked this post:
PTAaron (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The trailer hitch is a very quick install. Running the wiring takes the longest amount of time and even that isn't bad since it goes from the driver's tail light down and across to the hitch.

Headlights take a pinch longer as you pull the grille out then the retaining rings around the headlight and then un-clip the old and start back in with the new. Still not bad, just not as fast IMO.
I’ve seen a couple of videos on the headlights, I feel like the most time consuming part will be popping out the pins from the grille - that was the case with the turn signals last weekend.
I pretty excited about the swap. I might even try to do it Wednesday night instead of waiting for the weekend if I can arrange some garage time.

The hitch does look crazy simple - I ordered the Quadratec one with the welded on nuts. Seemed like it would make life extremely easy!
Old 02-17-2021, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

FedEx dropped this off as I was leaving for work... so I brought it with me

it was warm-ish today (20 degrees F) so I popped out on my lunch break and spent 20 minutes doing a swap! Most time consuming part was popping out the pins on the grille.

Comparison shot of course... factory light is a little bit covered in salt.

Quick and easy plug and play.

Very pleased with the look. I’ll double check the alignment tonight, I don’t want to blind anyone on the drive home.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

For the alignment on the lights- your local dealer will have the horizontal adjustment screw (search Google for the part number)- they're super cheap and well worth the money to get your lights to actually hit where it's useful.
PTAaron (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

For the alignment on the lights- your local dealer will have the horizontal adjustment screw (search Google for the part number)- they're super cheap and well worth the money to get your lights to actually hit where it's useful.
Great info, thank you. I’ll look into it.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Drove home in the dark with the new Quadratec Premium LED headlights... and WOW what a huge improvement!!
Drive most of the way on 2 lane roads and didn’t get flashed, so that was good. I don’t want to be “that guy”

Low beams

High beams

Those fog lights have got to get upgraded too I guess... they don’t quite match.

Actually, next upgrade will be the trailer hitch that arrives tomorrow (probably won’t get installed until the weekend)... and MAYBE some sort of rock slider bars.
the Jeep just doesn’t look complete from the side with that pinch weld showing. Also I feel like some sort of rail or slider would cut down on the slush can crud from the road that gets thrown up onto the doors, hinges, and handles!

That gap needs filling!
Old 02-17-2021, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It's interesting that your fog lights aren't off with the high beams on, that's typically programmed into the computer.

Rubi rails don't cut down on the sling much. I added a DIY step to mine (looks like hard rock rubi rails) and it's a little better, but certainly not great.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

It's interesting that your fog lights aren't off with the high beams on, that's typically programmed into the computer.

Rubi rails don't cut down on the sling much. I added a DIY step to mine (looks like hard rock rubi rails) and it's a little better, but certainly not great.
Oh yeah, I changed that setting with JScan just to see if I could.

I noticed that the rubi rails don’t stick out much, but I was looking at something that sticks out a bit more maybe... I have gone far down that rabbit hole yet.
I'm not jumping into anything just yet. Going to curb the spending for a bit here
many pics of your modifications?
Old 02-18-2021, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I've got pictures, but the modifications are mostly discrete. I'll attach the thread below that's probably about the most detailed and even it's out of date. I've done what I can to stay factory-ish looking but with reliability in mind. You won't see the headlight adjustment screws, the many different brake pad combos I've tried, the few throwout bearings I've replaced, the Teraflex rzeppa joints, all new Spicer u-joints, Spicer wheel bearings, or the Revolution rear axle shafts, but it's all there. Even on the inside where I've added heated seats, the air compressor, and various light switches- they're all easy to miss yet right within reach. It doesn't scream modified like I'd like it to, but there's something about going and doing without looking the part that I really enjoy. If there's something more in particular you're interested in, I'd be more than happy to help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-f...winner-350100/
PTAaron (02-18-2021)

Quick Reply: PTAaron’s 2017 JKU