Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

replacing front axil and rear diff gears.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing front axil and rear diff gears.

Ok, this is my situation for which I am asking TRUE jeep wrangler experts for help. I want to replace the entire front axle to a (MOPAR Dana 44 complete front axle assembly that comes with 4:10 elocker) I can do this on a weekend, with no problem. My rear is oem with open diff and 3.21 gears. I'll have to take to local installer to have this done since I don't have the tools or location to do this properly. It would be my first time replacing diff so it would take me longer than the experts. I also can't have my car off the road since it's my daily driver. The DANA 44 front axle should be fine for mudding. I don't do rock crawling so gearing should be a nice compromise. I hate 3.21 gears

My question is can I install front axle with 4.10 and have rear be oem with 3.21 for a short period of time without creating an issue? If I'm not mistaken, as long as I don't engage the front axle I should be fine. Am I wrong?

2014 JK sport
FRONT: DANA 30, 3.21
READ: DANA 44, 3.21

P.S. future dreams diesel swap....
Old 06-15-2018, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by 3_Percenter
My question is can I install front axle with 4.10 and have rear be oem with 3.21 for a short period of time without creating an issue?
Pull the front drive shaft until you regear the rear end.

You'll already have the axle side disconnected while installing the new axle, so barely any extra work.

I'd also add that when installing the new front axle, it would help to have a buddy or someone helping. Since the front diff is off center, the axle won't balance all that well on a floor jack to move it around and in to place. Swapping an axle isn't too hard, but making that first connection can sometimes be tricky when the axle doesn't want to balance nicely how you want it.

Last edited by resharp001; 06-15-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 on pulling the DS.

A couple of jack stands and a furniture dolly make installation easier.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

^^^y, that does look like a better way to go....if you got furniture dolly around.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
^^^y, that does look like a better way to go....if you got furniture dolly around.

Heck yea HF up the purchase of those dolly be handy at least for that project and cheap.

Quick Reply: replacing front axil and rear diff gears.