Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 05-07-2018, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi All,

Before setting out to circle Africa, I drove 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina on the Pan-Am Highway & finally I have published a book about my adventure:

My first taste of Overland adventures changed my life. This book is a collection of the adventures I had, the people I met and the lessons they taught me. It has taken me many years to write because it took many years for the lessons to sink in!

I hope it will inspire you to get out there and live adventures of your own!

AVAILABLE NOW: Grab a print or digital copy on Amazon, or (very soon) apple iBooks.

https://amzn.to/2wkxceX

-Dan
Old 05-20-2018, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

After reaching the Southern Tip and half way point, I continued around to Cape Town.

The scenery along the way is simply stunning, and reminds me of the Great Ocean Road in Australia - actually I think it's even better.

And they have penguins. Yes, really.

More: Towards Cape Town | The Road Chose Me

Upon arriving in Cape Town I did the only logical thing - hiked directly to the top of Table Mountain. The view made the hike worthwhile!

More: Table Mountain Hike | The Road Chose Me

It's been nice to relax and thoroughly enjoy reaching the half way point, but now it's time to move North. I'm extremely excited for the Cape to Cairo run that now lies ahead!

-Dan
Old 06-10-2018, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

Everyone always asks how the Jeep is running, if there have been any failures and what work I have had to do to it.

All the details on all the Maintenance, repairs and some key upgrades I have done to the Jeep are in the latest FREE edition of JPFreek Adventure Magazine - you can read the article here - JPFreek Adventure Magazine Spring 2018 Page 64

Fire away with any questions you have about everything.

The Jeep should be good now for another 40,000 miles on the famous Cape to Cairo run on the East Coast!

-Dan
Old 06-10-2018, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Great stuff on the maintenance of your Jeep! These things really are tough! It is nice to see there is some support for them in Africa. That 3.8 and NSG 370 get a lot of crap said about them, but I see so many that have been very durable over the long haul and in tough conditions. I've got a new JLU Rubicon, but still love my old 08 Rubi. Seeing what you are doing with yours and how it is taking care of you just gives me great confidence in my old machine.

I can't wait to see you start up the eastern side of Africa!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

After over 6,500 miles through South Africa, I cut through Swaziland briefly, and now I I have driven into country number 23, Mozambique!

The border crossing was easy and hassle-free. I was told becuase it was raining there would be no Poilce to bribe me on the roads. Perfect!

More: Into Mozambique | The Road Chose Me

From the capital of Maputo I have moved up the coast and found paradise in the little beach side town of Tofo. I rented a surfboard and am now living the beach life!

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/tofo-mozambique

Speaking Portuguese again is great fun, the water is warm and the beers are cold and cheap. I suspect I might stay a while!

-Dan
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

After a great time on the beach in Mozambique, I have driven into African country number 24, Zimbabwe.
The Immigration guy in Mozambique didn't want to let me leave, though after a few hours of patience he finally let me go. As beautiful as it was, I don't really want to get stuck there!

Right from the get-go the mountains in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe are stunning, and provide tons of gravel roads to explore and endless wildcamping.

Read more: The Eastern Highlands around Chimanimani | The Road Chose Me

The country feels free and happy to be rid of their dictator who was kicked out by the military just under a year ago. Finally people can talk about how bad Mugabe was, and they seem all the happier for it! It feels like the country has a very bright future.

... And then, even more mountains and exploring

More: Even More Zimbabwe Mountains | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place and the laid-back and friendly locals and already know I want to stay longer than my 4 week visa!

-Dan
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow! What an experience you're having!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

Zimbabwe is continuing to blow my mind. Every day provides something new - it's always stunning, and there is never anyone around.

In the south I checked out the region near Matopos National Park which has a lot of beautiful places and great remote places to explore.

We found an awesome cave full of ancient paintings on the side of a mountain. Really, really cool

More: Around Matopos National Park | The Road Chose Me

Since then we've been checking out Mana Pools National Park. We camped right on the banks of the Zambezi River looking out to Zambia. Elephants walked right through camp, and at night a Hyena came within 20 feet of me, and we could hear lions roaring not too far away while sitting around the fire. Spine tingling.

People ask how close we get to the big animals.
Close!

This guy with the AK47 was our guard while walking around looking for lions. We could hear two different prides roaring with us in the middle - though we never did see them. Doing it on foot is a whole different experience!

A ton more pics here: Mana Pools National Park | The Road Chose Me

Also I just uploaded the latest YouTube video, showing our time in Botswana. Being extremely close to lions is hard to forget!
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/-eTCPCky9q8[VIDEO]

-Dan
The following users liked this post:
dmwil (08-13-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

After a total of 38,668 miles I have driven into African country number 25 - Zambia!

I'm really looking forward to this one, and finally I feel like progress is being made on this "to the North" segment of the expedition.

The map on the hood is getting filled in by the day!

You can read about the whole border crossing here:
Into Zambia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan
Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, that Jeep will need to be in a museum when this is all over. Can't wait for the book on this one! Lots of adventure still left, though! Be safe!

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me