Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi All,

I imagine everyone has tons of questions about the whole expedition, so I'm doing an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit.com right now.

Come on over and ask me absolutely anything about the expedition.

It's all on the table - safety, money, health, budget, visas, route, people, animals, the Jeep.

You ask it, I'll answer it.

Go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._said_i_would/

-Dan
Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I'm moving around North America displaying the Jeep and giving presentations and talks about what I've done.

This weekend I'm at the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler County, Pennsylvania. It's been great to meet so many people that have followed, and even a ton of people that had no idea what Overlanding is, but are stoked to get out there and have adventures.

Last night I took the Jeep into downtown Butler, PA for the "Jeep Invasion" where they shut down the city with a ton of cool Jeeps on display. It was a great night, and the Jeep stood out like a sore thumb with the roof up.

I'm at Bantam all weekend, come on by and say hello!

-Dan

The following 2 users liked this post by Grecy:
Cascade Wanderer (07-02-2019), dmwil (06-08-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent Dan. I've followed much of your African journey. Thanks for posting it up for us.

Regards, Guy
Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I'm touring the US this summer, speaking at shows, talking about what I did, telling stories and showing off the Jeep.
I'm on the scheudle at all of the below to speak, display, etc.
Let me know if there is another show you think I should go to.

Please stop by the Jeep and say hello!

I keep adding new shows to my schedule for the summer - the current list looks like this.

If you know of a show you think I should be attending/presenting at, please let me know!

Big Sky Overland Rally
near Missoula, Montana
July 26-28

Rocky Mountain Overland Rally
Gunnison, Colorado
August 1-4

Toledo Jeep Festival
Toledo, Ohio
August 9-11

Jeep Jam
Wilmington, Ohio
August 16-19

Appalachian Rendezvous
Uwharrie, North Carolina
September 12-15

Overland Expo EAST
Arrington, Virginia
October 11-13

Virginia Root Top Tent Rally
Gladstone, Virginia
October 18-20

-Dan
The following users liked this post:
TusknRaidr (07-24-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

My summer is rolling on, showing the Jeep and telling stories. It's a little surreal meeting people who have been following me the whole time, though also great fun.

THIS WEEKEND (Aug 23/24) I'm showing the Jeep and speaking at the Great Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
The Jeep will be on display inside the convention center where I'll be giving tours and telling stories.

As a special guest of the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association I am presenting my African Adventure from 4pm-5pm on both Friday and Saturday.
I'll be speaking in classroom #1.

See you there!

-Dan
Old 08-25-2019, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Let me know if you ever get into or near Indiana. I'd love to meet you!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I've been busy for the winter writing the book about my Africa Expedition.
The new book is called "The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles Around Africa"
It's almost finished, and I've just started a Kickstarter to get it across the line.

It contains all the adventures, all the misadventures and a ton of stuff I've never written or spoken about publicly before. It also contains all the lessons I learned in Africa, and how the reality on the ground is so vastly different than the perception the media gives us.

For the Kickstarter there are a bunch of different reward teirs including stickers, patches, my photography book, my first book about Alaska to Argentina and a canvas wrap print of my favourite photo from Africa.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...iles-in-africa

-Dan
Old 06-08-2020, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

The number one question I get asked after driving the length of the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Argentina and all the way around Africa is how much does it all cost.

In this video I get right down to it, and give actual numbers not just from my experience, but also from other overlanders out there really doing it.

I've transitioned to YouTube, with the goal of teaching you everything you need to know to get out there on your own global expedition.

I know money is a hot topic, so In the coming months I'll be posting a ton more videos about it - how to save, how to earn money on the road, how to get sponsors, how to get published, etc. etc.

-Dan
Old 12-29-2020, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

After a huge amount of work I'm proud to announce I've published my second major book, documenting my entire expedition around Africa.

'The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles around Africa' is available now in paperback and eBook format.

Amazon (Paperback and eBook): https://amzn.to/3pnVKu6

Apple Books (eBook): https://apple.co/34GYBXd

This book documents my entire three year African expedition from start to finish. It covers the preparation, the adventures, the characters I met, the misadventures, the logistics, touches on politics and my loneliness and so, so much more.
At 375 pages it’s 50% bigger than my first book, and it has been an enormous amount of work to bring this to life!

INTRODUCTION
(From the book)
Bumping along a gravel road in Guatemala with my friend Kate I clearly remember discussing overland travel and what it might mean for my life. Two continuous years exploring foreign countries was substantially bigger than anything I had attempted before. To be perfectly honest, I still wasn’t sure it was for me.

“There are really only two options,” I said.
“Either this Alaska to Argentina drive satisfies my urge and I’ll never do this kind of thing again, or I’ll be addicted for life.”

The fact this book exists tells you which way that went.

When I set out to drive from Alaska to Argentina I didn’t know what to expect. I knew almost nothing about border crossings, bribery or if I could learn another language. My plan was to go until I didn’t enjoy it any more, then do something else with my life. This meant I didn’t feel any pressure. If my little Jeep got stolen or destroyed I could simply walk away. I hadn’t made any promises, and virtually nobody outside my family knew of The Road Chose Me.

The Africa expedition was very different from the start. I began planning and dreaming fully aware of what I was getting into. I knew how disciplined I would have to be while saving money, and how difficult it would be to leave my comfortable life behind. I knew the depths of loneliness that were in front of me, and how hard it would be to push through my fears and doubts. To put it simply, I knew exactly what I was signing myself up for – or at least I thought I did.

I again quit my job and sold everything I wasn’t taking, and I promised a lot of people I would complete the lap around Africa. Once I committed, I was all in. There would be no turning back or stopping early this time. I knew an expedition all the way around Africa would be an enormous adventure, and it turned out to be a thousand times more than even I dreamed possible.

Africa and her people taught me so much and I feel a great responsibility to do their story justice. After three months I thought I knew everything. Then after twelve months I realized that was all garbage and I had a new perspective. This learning process was continuous as I tried to keep my eyes and ears open to the world I was experiencing.

Like volume one, this book contains more than just tales of adventure, but also the lifelong lessons I will never forget. Fair warning, some lessons are controversial and will be difficult for readers in the developed world. I learned volumes about how the world views and treats Africa, making it impossible not to touch on politics. To be perfectly honest, most of what I learned makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you will keep an open mind as you make this journey of discovery with me.

Throughout the expedition the endless kindness and warmth of the African people was a constant. Without their love and encouragement my dream wouldn’t have been possible.

So much is outside my control while on these expeditions I often feel as if I’m on a roller coaster, taking the unexpected twists and turns as they come. All I can do is plant a smile on my face, hold on and enjoy the ride. So strap yourself in as we embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

-Dan

Also available, as a companion to the written account of the journey is a 75 page full color photography book from the expedition.

In this book I have a double-page spread from each of the 35 countries I visited, showing the stunning landscapes, wildlife, people and wild places I visited.

'999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose me' is available as a full-color photography book:

Amazon (printed color book): https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

Old 12-29-2020, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Thank you Dan. I've watched a couple of your vids on YouTube and followed this thread. Though not an avid reader, your story really interests me and I'm happy to support you. I will be buying your books as inspiration!
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
dmwil (01-01-2021), Grecy (01-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me