Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Awesome amazing journey, wish that I could someday do a fraction of what you have experienced!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: Ethiopia Ends / Into Sudan | The Road Chose Me

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: To Khartoum | The Road Chose Me

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan
Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just watched your latest YouTube video, and was hoping to be able to come here to see the results from the tippy times.... I'm tremendously happy to hear that its all worked out. Watching your trip has been a great experience and I can't want to see what's next!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: Into Egypt | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan
Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts

This is really amazing!

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: