Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

3" Lift Kit Rear Coil Spacer bolt on?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Lift Kit Rear Coil Spacer bolt on?

Hi I purchases a Traxda 3" lift kit for my 2018 JK, the kit looks simple to install, but the only thing that concerns me is that I have been seeing videos on how to install similiar kits to this one and they have a washer with a nut welded to it and then the rear coil spacer is bolted in place using this washer. My question is, do the rear spacers really need to be bolted or not?

This is the kit that I ordered and below is the instruction illustration on how to install the rear spacer.

Anyone experienced installing these types of kits that can help me out ?

Thanks,

HC

Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Based on the kit you purchased, no, you do not need to bolt it in as you likely won't ever unseat the coil.....otherwise you would have been lead to a coil lift with coil retaining clips.

You should look at the other pieces that go with a high quality 2.5" kit to see what may be missing from the kit Traxda sold you.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I can't add much to what Karl has already said cuz it was spot on, and diplomatic ; however, I couldn't help but to look at the install instructions on their website -

https://traxda.com/int/601012.pdf

Something tells me they are missing a very important tidbit of information here. Maybe I'm missing it?? Support the axle via the diff, remove nuts and bolts, then lower the jack and remove the springs...... What would be the effect of that action?

Do yourself a favor, jack it up a bit and support the body with some jack stands before doing any of that. If you don't, the axle won't droop allowing the springs to come out......instead, the entire front end of the jeep will lower. Also, they say to disconnect the front TB at the frame side (steering box side).....it's easier to disconnect at the axle side.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, yeah I was comparing similar kits and they have a large washer and bolt to bolt the spacer in place. A rep from Traxda replied to my email and said that for their kit, it is not necessary to bolt the rear spacers in places, that they are held in place just like the coil is, with gravity weight from the vehicle.

Thanks,

HC
Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Hi resharp001, yeah their instructions are not 100% accurate, I saw several videos on installation of similar kits, and yes I am lifting the jeep, placing it on jack stands and then lowering the diff. one wheel at a time, it doesn't look that difficult, I am not a mechanic, but I have been working on my cars for a very long time... once I had to replace the steering rack and pinion on a Isuzu rodeo i had and it was a pain, but I was able to do it, it took me a couple of days (about 8 hrs. each), but I did it... so this project doesn't look anywhere near as complicated as that other one... thanks for your advise, it will sure come in handy...

Thanks,

HC
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, this won’t take you very long at all. You will likely end up wanting some additional pieces (as Karl alluded to). Probably some control arm brackets to help raise your caster back up to spec, some brake line extension brakcets, and evaluate your sway bar links (especially up front). You may be fine living without an adjustable front TB, but adding one will allow you to get the axle dead center again. Same with raised rear TB bracket…..would help to have one.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again resharp001, I will definitely look into these parts you mention, I was planning on going to the hardware store to get some "brackets" for the brake lines, I am sure I can find something there. A friend of mine told me that these jeeps needed a part that is adjustable (couldn't remember what it was?) to adjust the camber, is this the adjustable track bar you mention?

Thanks,

HC
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by hjc1974
A friend of mine told me that these jeeps needed a part that is adjustable (couldn't remember what it was?) to adjust the camber, is this the adjustable track bar you mention?
When lifting the jeep a couple things will happen. Your front axle will shift a touch off-center towards the drivers side. An adjustable TB will allow you to push that back to perfectly centered. The same happens in the rear, cept it shifts passenger side, and is typically resolved by raising the axle-side bracket. You may just decided to live with the results as is.....it just won't be perfect.

Also, when you lift the jeep, you lower your caster (the pinion flange raises higher). Caster from factory is 4.2*. There are different means of adjusting caster, but control arm brackets are probably the option best up your alley. They install on the frame side and reposition where your control arms mount.....allowing you to rotate the axle a bit, dropping the pinion and hence raising the caster. Without going in to all the diagrams, that is the short and skinny of it. $90-$150 will get you some control arm brackets (depending on brand) and improve your ride. Steer clear of "cam bolts".

Brake line brackets are cheap......or if you're handy you can just fab up your own.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome explanation!! Thanks, I will definitely look into these items you mention, I want to keep my jeep as close to spec as possible, its my daily so I dont want to cause any damage to it.

Thanks again,

HC

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Kit Rear Coil Spacer bolt on?