Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 low question

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 rubicon auto. Went wheeling this past Sat and used 4 low for the first time. I noticed the transmission went into 1st gear at the same time I shifted to 4 low. Does have to be in 1st? Is it possible to go any higher? I was going very slow an revs were high. Most post I read say low up to 20 mph but I don't think I could even get close to that w/o blowing engine. Adding that I tried to shift but it stayed in 1st. I needed to get moving and could not play with it more.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I'm assuming you have an automatic. In short, the transmission will switch gears, but it'll be at much higher RPMs, so that you can always have torque when you're using 4lo.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

By the way, select shift just holds it back from 3rd. It'll allow the jeep to go to second if need be, but wot put it directly into second. It'll still select first until it needs more gear.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NCRUBI2012
12 rubicon auto. Went wheeling this past Sat and used 4 low for the first time. I noticed the transmission went into 1st gear at the same time I shifted to 4 low. Does have to be in 1st? Is it possible to go any higher? I was going very slow an revs were high. Most post I read say low up to 20 mph but I don't think I could even get close to that w/o blowing engine. Adding that I tried to shift but it stayed in 1st. I needed to get moving and could not play with it more.
Thanks
With select shift you can select gears in 4lo. Where I go wheeling ill have 1/2 mile of tight technical crawling then 500ft of easy dirt road so I tap to 1st for hard part then tap to 2-3 for easy section. Never had a problem and yes the jeep will start off from 2nd from a stop
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

With select shift you can select gears in 4lo. Where I go wheeling ill have 1/2 mile of tight technical crawling then 500ft of easy dirt road so I tap to 1st for hard part then tap to 2-3 for easy section. Never had a problem and yes the jeep will start off from 2nd from a stop
You're right, didn't notice he had a 12. I have an 11. No select switch

Quick Reply: 4 low question