Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4low shifting

Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etsam7655
oh no i dont mean shifting into for low i mean litterly shifting from first to second, its a manual
Just start in 2nd or third. when i go from 1st to 2nd I find it easier to just come to a complete stop which does not take much since you are going so slow in 4 low anyways.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

just in case you are ever in a spot where you can not slow roll try going to 2h spinning the wheels or even stay in 4h if you can spin them ever so slightly to better align the gear teeth. dont ever try to force it though or the dreaded plastic transfer case cable bracket/clip may break and then your stuck like chuck until the exhaust cools and you can manually shift the transfer case.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

oh no i dont mean shifting into for low i mean litterly shifting from first to second, its a manual
Fahk it and start out in 2nd...

I would only use 1st in a 4Wlow when im pulling a house down!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i sorta feel stupid but is there a certian way your sup to shit when ur in 4wheel low?

As well you should, there are facilities made for that sort of thing...and your jeep may not like you afterward.

Seriously though, there is an "edit" button under your post. Please log in and fix the typo.....damn.

Last edited by toymaster; 10-22-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get used to it, a rubicon 6spd in 4-low has a TON of gear reduction. Making it very touchy on the clutch.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used my 4lo for the first time on the trail this weekend in the rubicon (6spd) and I found that starting in 2nd is pretty much where its at. But like everyone else said, shifting is more of an 'art' than anything else. Slow and steady until you get used to it. I had the same problem the first morning I was having to use 4lo frequently. It was jerky and I felt like a complete newb driver again.

Also if your in a situation where you cannot get the teeth to sync and you cant roll forward slowly. Come to a complete stop. Attempt to shift it into 4lo (if it doesnt engage the first time) let out the clutch and then reengage the clutch and attempt to shift into low again. Whatever you do, DO NOT force things. This always worked for me, as it slowly aligned the teeth without putting much force on things.

Best of luck

EDIT: also I remember reading in the owners manual not to shift when you are using the engine to slowly crawl down hill. Premature damaged and such. I was told that if you are slowly crawling down hill or are simply driving in 4lo, give it a little gas to take the pressure off the transmission and then shift. Please correct me if this is not to the best way of shifting in 4lo

Last edited by TNJKER; 10-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

thanks for ketching that mistake

Quick Reply: 4low shifting