Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Air down before driving on beach?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter
How long have you had your tires. I have been looking at the mud country
Ive had them about a month now and couldnt be happier, very quiet and so far have done a great job off road
Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

What happens when you don't air down...

Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter

How long have you had your tires. I have been looking at the mud country
I've had them since January and love them! They have been exposed to the beach, mud, rocks, steep muddy hills, log obstacles and are my DD's... They are not terribly loud and wear quite good. They have about 4k miles on them and still look brand new. I can't wait till they need replacing so I can upgrade to 33's or 35's...
Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
Hahaha.... Guess that means your airing down when we hit corolla beach huh... I keep a $40 air compressor in my jeep for just this reason...
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I drive a lot on a beach up here and its required by the state to air down to 18psi. Not only does it give you better traction but greatly helps the tranny. I went out there during a nice early spring day without airing down and almost blew my tranny from heat. You REALLY SHOULD use 4-lo when driving on sand. iT doesnt allow the tranny to heat up when using 4-hi and having to "push" the sand with unaired tires keep the rpms high. This in turn makes the torque converter over heat the tranny.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Hahaha.... Guess that means your airing down when we hit corolla beach huh... I keep a $40 air compressor in my jeep for just this reason...
Oh, I learned my lesson Those pictures have made the rounds through my family. I went out and bought a nice little air compressor after that incident. I also learned to value of keeping recovery gear in the Jeep all the time. No one who passed by had any. One guy in an FJ let me use his kids plastic shovel to dig out. My wife thought it was hilarious. Looking back on it, it was pretty funny
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blue project
I drive a lot on a beach up here and its required by the state to air down to 18psi. Not only does it give you better traction but greatly helps the tranny. I went out there during a nice early spring day without airing down and almost blew my tranny from heat. You REALLY SHOULD use 4-lo when driving on sand. iT doesnt allow the tranny to heat up when using 4-hi and having to "push" the sand with unaired tires keep the rpms high. This in turn makes the torque converter over heat the tranny.
X2 on 4Lo... I stay in 2nd gear while I'm on the beach and pretty much everytime I'm on the obstacle course as well...
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Oh, I learned my lesson Those pictures have made the rounds through my family. I went out and bought a nice little air compressor after that incident. I also learned to value of keeping recovery gear in the Jeep all the time. No one who passed by had any. One guy in an FJ let me use his kids plastic shovel to dig out. My wife thought it was hilarious. Looking back on it, it was pretty funny
Yea, I would have def chuckled at the plastic shovel. I thought I was going to pull out some recovery gear or the winch to offer some help last week. A guy in a JK was STRUGGLING in the loose sand near the dunes. I have no idea why he chose to stay that route traveling down the beach.......
Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Yea, I would have def chuckled at the plastic shovel. I thought I was going to pull out some recovery gear or the winch to offer some help last week. A guy in a JK was STRUGGLING in the loose sand near the dunes. I have no idea why he chose to stay that route traveling down the beach.......
Was it a rental Jeep? I saw those people doing some crazy stuff while I was down there. I know I made some silly decisions when I first got my Jeep off road. One of the first things I learned was to air down. Its easier on my Jeep and it makes the ride a lot smoother on the beach and on the back woods trails
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Had F150 on 35's, Front axle came unplugged. Even aired down to about 7 lbs. I stuck it a lot worse then that. Really felt like a heel, was first trip back on sand with new tires.

Quick Reply: Air down before driving on beach?