Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Air down before driving on beach?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're on hard pack sand, no need to air down so much. But on loose sand, I air down to about 15 lbs for floatation and comfort. Otherwise ride is too choppy.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a fair amount of driving on the beach here in south texas (packed, loose, shell) personally I have never aired down and im running 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers. that being said i do turn the esp and o/d off and run 4hi or 4lo as required rest of time 2wd.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

I aired down my stock treads and made it thru all the dunes. I did get stuck once but only because i stopped and i quickly dug myself out.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it really depends on the sand like others have said. By me on Long Island, the sand is VERY loose. I neglected to air down one and it was a mistake as I could smell the tranny starting to get very upset with me. No "Hot Oil" light but I am sure it was only a matter of time. I have a new VIAIR compressor now. I am ready to go!

Quick Reply: Air down before driving on beach?