Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Airing Down - Airin Up Why/ How

Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kachad
I regularly air mine down to 15 psi and haven't broken any beads yet with the stock Rubi tires\rims. I know alot of other guys that run down to 8 psi, but 15 seems to have treated me pretty well.
I broke a bead on my stock rubi wheels at 15psi when I need to turn a slow sharp left. I rolled forward to get out of the sand and then cut the sidewall wide open! Ruined tire in less than one foot of travel. I would recommend 20psi.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a power tank. Can't wait to give it a try, but now I've got to start buying more accessories. I got a 15lb'er ( it was a good deal at a local tire shop, they had ordered for someone else, who didn't come back); I would recommend a smaller tank as this is kinda huge. I can air up something like 45 35" tires, maybe I'll make some friends on the trail. I can also run an impact wrench or a framing nailer, I want to get a nailer now. Any ideas on mounting? I really wish Shrock would get making me a rear bumper that this would fit on, along with my spare and a jerry can and a cooler. Well, in the mean time where should I put this?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Windshear
So on a stock Rubicon what PSI should I air down to for rock climbing?
- For light to moderate trail use I run the stock Rubi BFGs at 18 psi.
- For rock crawling somewhere in the 12-15 psi range works fine for me. Others say you can go lower for crawling but I have not found any need to go any lower.
- For sand or snow or soft snow 12 psi.

Experiment with different pressures. Try running a moderate line at street pressure, then air down to 18 and try it again. Run it again 13 and see what its like. You will be amazed at the increase in off road traction and ride comfort you get with aired down tires. It can be a hassle to air down and up but its worth the time.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

I plan on doing light to moderate trails (maybe) ...do I really need to air down? I run the stock rubi wheels/tires on my X.

My only reasoning behind airing down would be to help not pop a tire on a rock or stick...so does airing down help this?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rballman
I plan on doing light to moderate trails (maybe) ...do I really need to air down? I run the stock rubi wheels/tires on my X.

My only reasoning behind airing down would be to help not pop a tire on a rock or stick...so does airing down help this?

Thanks.
Airing down isn't necessary for light to moderate trails. I've done several trails in Moab and have never aired down. I've found that I have oodles of traction with the tires at street pressure.

I'm sure it would help make the ride less bouncy though.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rballman

Thanks.
For light to moderate trails you do not have to air down.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think these two things have been mentioned yet;

With beadlock wheels (as per picture) you can air down much lower than 15psi without worrying about the tires coming off the rim.

I bought the Staun deflators... but mine will only air down to 15psi. If anyone is interested in them, drop me a line. I will probably get the ARB one.

And finally; how does a tire that is aired down have greater resistance to being damaged by sharp rocks?

Quick Reply: Airing Down - Airin Up Why/ How