Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Picking a good line

Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking a good line

What do you look for when picking a good line?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

Tire placement is key, you always want to place your tire on the obstacle rather than strattling it. Also, for larger obstacles, you will find that you have most clearance(without sidesteps) on the sides of your vehicle. This is why rocker rails are so important. If you hit anything, you just hit the rails and you dont have to worry about hitting a driveshaft, or t case or something else that could really ruin your day...
Old 05-30-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before starting the videos, look at the begining pic and see what line would look good to you.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Cool...thanks Kat! Fun little exercise I will have to check out when I'm not at work (video streams dont work here)

Sometimes when I am in the Jeep I can't see the rocks as well...ie I have no idea where the Jeep is in relation to the rock....I feel the tire on it...but not exactly where its going to carry me to the next rock...which brings up the point...

When picking a line you need to predict and anticipate at least 3-5 steps ahead...once your wheel goes over this rock...what next?...the other wheel will have to straddle that rock...forcing you to turn the wheel and get the other tire on this rock..the the rear tire will roll onto that rock...etc.

btw I am a major noob...and just repeating what others have told me while I was bashing up the Jeep...=]
Old 05-30-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Picking a line;

That is where knowing your rig is vital! Picking a line comes with experience, and getting to know your rig. Some times the easiest obstacle can become a serious problem just because of a poor line desicion! Many will tell you it is all about getting your tires on the bad stuff and clearing your diffs, that is only half of it. Once your front tires drop you have to worry about frame/ side clearance. I always tell people don't just look at the big rock ahead, but what is behind it as well. When I pick a line on a nasty obstacle, I always walk up it firts and pretend I am sitting in my invisible jeep and think of "where do I go once I get here" and you may have to actually plan for a turn once on/ passing over the obstacle. Thing is once it is under you jeep and you dont have a spotter, you are driving with a blind fold basically. Like I said picking a line is 90% knowing your rig!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I liked the video, but please! Dont walk around with the camera on...it made me dizzy!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

picking a line I watch where people are going then floor it another direction and fling mud where ever it lands
Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Really tight places give me major pucker, with one eye I can't tell If i'm 3 inches from the tree or 3 feet.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Look for an upside-down Jeep, then you know where not to go.

Naw, they are right, it is all about tire placement.... Think hard, and think in 4-D ex. when I put this tire here, think where the rest of the Jeep will be... I find most damage is on the half of the Jeep you aren't payin attention to... Remember that....
Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
picking a line I watch where people are going then floor it another direction and fling mud where ever it lands
I now know how I've come to pick my line and it's not very pretty

Quick Reply: Picking a good line