Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

approach with bld

Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default approach with bld

My previous jeep had lockers front and rear. I was able to nose up to an obstacle and pull myself up onto it with both wheels. My jk doesn't have lockers just the bld system. So when approach the obstacle now is there another technique I should use or will the bld work the same way locking one wheel or the other to pull it up. Seems like it might be a little jerky. I've never seen it in a jeep but I have seen it in a fj cruiser if its the same concept.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

I like the bld system. its not as good as a locker, but it does get the job done. I typically wheel in mud/water. I nose up to a obstacle and the let the jeep work. I have had people behind me tell me its funny watching the tire just suddenly lock up and work. While they hit the same obstacle and can't get over it because they lose traction.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 AM
JK Freak

Agreed the BLD is amazing. I have the limited slip in the rear and wish I had a locker in the front, but the bld get's us through some good obstacles with out much effort. I say run it and see what ya think before you upgrade, you might be surprised how far the stock set up will get ya.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Please explain BLD.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

agree and how do u know if u got it? im pretty sure i only got the esp
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

All JK's have BLD. You should read your manual; lots of good info in there. This article by a Chrysler engineer explains it, though:

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=270

Since it's a reference not a vendor, I'm hoping the mods will leave the link intact.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my Jeep used and it didn't come with the manual. Mine is an 07 Sahara with a 6 speed. I assume mine has this? Do all 07 and up have this feature?

Quick Reply: approach with bld