Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Backyard run?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard run?

So I've got 3.5 acres to mow each week (3-3.5 hours on the mower - yeck) and I'd really rather make it into an amuse-me park than cut all that grass.

so... having never seen a 4x4 playground what would you want in yours?

Some stuff to crawl over? 1/2-buried tires maybe?

Dirt berms?

Water holes?

Anyone have pictures of teh landrover test track? Never seen it myself.

Thoughts, ideas, slams, flames all welcome. haha - time to beat up teh new guy AND possibly contribute to a neighbour pissing-off back yard fun park.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM
JK Newbie

How about some large boulders for a bit of rock crawling.

Also some telephone poles or logs of decent size laid out in a random pattern to drive over.

can also use logs or railway ties to stop your rig from eroding any man made dirt berms you make like this

You can also get a few truckloads of sand as well to create some soft sandy patches as well
Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Way cool, thanks!

I've got some trees down from over the winter... I might just use them for something like this!

Rocks and sand are great ideas, except where I live there are no rocks (sandstone at best) and no sand except on the salt-water beaches. Don't want that. Don't want to get caught snagging it.

Jamie
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Go find a deconstruction site, and see if you could help them remove the old concrete slabs, chucks, debris.

Also talk to a local concrete company. Maybe make some mounds that they could dump any unused concrete on. A lot of competition courses use that.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 05-20-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

having that in your backyard could be fun
Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gaidheal
Thoughts, ideas, slams, flames all welcome. haha - time to beat up teh new guy AND possibly contribute to a neighbour pissing-off back yard fun park.
Flames! I wanna see flames in your course! Maybe a ring of fire you have to jump through!?!?

Seriously though. If I had the space, I'd definitely build myself a course. Logs, rocks, maybe a cinder block wall at the end to climb up. . .
Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

This is an awesome idea cant wait to see some pics or vids when you make some progress. Search you to for some of the jeep experience courses that they used at auto shows for some ideas too. All fairly easy to do but still fun.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you have something to get stuck in so you can play with your winch too.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Find a buddy with a back hoe, or even better a track hoe. Tell them they can practice digging in the back yard. You will eventually end up with a nice holes to drive through and mounds to drive over. Construction companies are often looking for a place to dump debris, like rocks and unusable dirt. Let them dump it in your back yard.

Just a word of advice. Not sure if you live out in the country or not, but a buddy of mine did something similar and lived just on the outskirts of town. He built up a nice, as you put it, amuse me park for his truck. At first, people from the town thought it was a junk yard or land fill and started throwing all sorts of garbage in there. Rocks are cool to drive over, used diapers and broken furniture is not. Once he got it cleaned up and finished, all the kids with their bicycles, motorcycles, and quads started showing up and using it. They didn't trash it, in fact they kept it pretty clean, and he didn't have a problem with it, until someone got hurt. Their fault, not his, but his property and his responsibility to monitor and control the activity on the property, or something like that is what came out in the law suit. He ended up fencing it in and putting no trespassing signs all over it. He still lets people use it, they just have to sign a waiver and be over 18.

Point is, just be prepared to clean up after others while you are making it, and as much as I hate fences and love being able to drive where I want to, consider protecting your self from the stupidity of others.

Quick Reply: Backyard run?