Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

beach driving

Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You are welcome. Just for the record, the only gear which typically has an even lower operating life than the 1st gear is the rear gear. If you ever have to pull out another vehicle, try to pull forwards instead of backwards. As far as I know also the T-case (or the differential?) is designed to take on stronger loads when you try to move forward.

Last edited by Sebastian; 05-02-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in wilmington nc. I go to the beach just about every weekend,
Wash out from under the jeep when you get home,
You'll be fine. Around springtime every year I take a wire brush, and some flat black spray paint and take care of the little bit of rust I do see. Which is also a good time to check under the jeep for other issues from wheeling you might not be aware of.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys I'm headed out to the OBX this weekend up to Corolla, never been so I was just seeing if there tips I could get from those who have been there. I know I need to air down, turn off ESC, and keep it in 4. But which is better 4hi or 4Lo? It's an auto trans.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

It depends on what gear your trans is picking and what your temps look like. I was down there just a couple weeks ago and didn't air down at all, didn't turn the esp off and was between 2hi and 4hi. There were a couple places where I would stop and use 4lo to get moving but then after I got to a firmer patch then I would go back to 4hi.

Corolla is really tamer than it seems.....I would hold off on airing down until you feel like you need to. I go down MANY times a year and I only recall airing down once...maybe twice.

Ultimately you can do as you please- take advice from people who have seen pictures of the beach or someone who has been there regularly. I go down all through the year and at all times of the day and night.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
It depends on what gear your trans is picking and what your temps look like. I was down there just a couple weeks ago and didn't air down at all, didn't turn the esp off and was between 2hi and 4hi. There were a couple places where I would stop and use 4lo to get moving but then after I got to a firmer patch then I would go back to 4hi.

Corolla is really tamer than it seems.....I would hold off on airing down until you feel like you need to. I go down MANY times a year and I only recall airing down once...maybe twice.

Ultimately you can do as you please- take advice from people who have seen pictures of the beach or someone who has been there regularly. I go down all through the year and at all times of the day and night.

Sent from my DROID4
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it that way and see how it goes.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LuckyJK
Hey guys I'm headed out to the OBX this weekend up to Corolla, never been so I was just seeing if there tips I could get from those who have been there. I know I need to air down, turn off ESC, and keep it in 4. But which is better 4hi or 4Lo? It's an auto trans.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Anyone else...

Quick Reply: beach driving