Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

beach driving

Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beach driving

hey guys so i recently bought a 2015 jeep wrangler unlimited freedom edition, so im very new to the jeep community, its currently all stock 17 inch wheels, and i wanted to take it on the beach this summer but i have never done any beach driving before anyone have any tips and pointers they can give me such as airing down and just things of that nature
Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air down to about 15-18psi
No hard starts, easy on the throttle
Keep a traction board with you as well as a tow strap or two.
Keep an eye on the tide
Stay off the dunes if they are posted
If you help out another stucky, make sure you know how so you don't bury yourself in the process.
After the beach, go to a drive through car wash with undercarriage spray. I use to put a lawn sprinkler under mine, done in the yard, leave it in place for about 5 minutes and move it around to get all the areas free of sand and salt.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled out a JK like yours at the beach, stock with no accessories. Stick to good lines off the loose dry sand. Absolutely get traction boards / sand ramps - they will get you moving if you get out and use them immediately you get stuck (don't spin the tires and bury the axles), or bring cuts of carpet if you want to save $. Bring a tow strap just in case.

Last edited by westchester; 03-09-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Air down to about 15-18psi
No hard starts, easy on the throttle
Keep a traction board with you as well as a tow strap or two.
Keep an eye on the tide
Stay off the dunes if they are posted
If you help out another stucky, make sure you know how so you don't bury yourself in the process.
After the beach, go to a drive through car wash with undercarriage spray. I use to put a lawn sprinkler under mine, done in the yard, leave it in place for about 5 minutes and move it around to get all the areas free of sand and salt.
thank you i appreciate it!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
I pulled out a JK like yours at the beach, stock with no accessories. Stick to good lines off the loose dry sand. Absolutely get traction boards / sand ramps - they will get you moving if you get out and use them immediately you get stuck (don't spin the tires and bury the axles), or bring cuts of carpet if you want to save $. Bring a tow strap just in case.
thank you
Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

You'll want to take a board with you, either a short section of 2x8 or doubled up plywood - something to put under the jack to keep it from sinking into the sand.

When you get stuck, use the board and jack to jack up the tires and fill in the holes they made from spinning.

There are a few different types of sand on the beach, the really soft stuff furthest from the water, the decent stuff (we call it the hard pack) just above the water line, and wet sand. For the majority of driving, stay on the hard pack - it'll be obvious once you 'feel' it.

The trickiest part is getting off the sand ramp and to the hard pack, it's usually a loose, rutted mess. That being said, your jeep shouldn't have too much trouble negotiating it - try not to fight the steering wheel and keep all motions smooth - especially braking and acceleration.

Keep an eye on the tide changing, if you get stuck at the waterline in low tide, you can lose your jeep.

NEVER DRIVE IN THE WATER.

All in all you'll do fine - keep the board and jack in an accessible location and enjoy the trip. Afterwards, you really need to wash the underside REALLY well.

Last edited by mikejr; 03-13-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing for the list -- a shovel. Useful for digging a slope for the ramp, etc'.
If you used it, wash it too...
Old 03-19-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

I find that a hoe is a lot more useful at the beach than a shovel.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Huk
JK Newbie

Similar to driving in snow when you have bad tires - pay attention to where you stop because starting again can be harder than just driving along. Plan ahead.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some beaches require you to have certain things before getting a beach pass. On the Cape, you need to have a min. 2'x2' 3/4" think plywood, tow strap, shovel, tire gauge and a full size tire (which all Wrangles have)

Quick Reply: beach driving