Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Beach driving in the OBX!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach driving in the OBX!

I want to know where to go in the OBX that I can drive on the beach and possibly camp on the beach. Im hoping to go this weekend if weather permits. Also are there places near the beaches that I can air back up or do I need to take a pump? Thanks!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Depends on the beach, but there are gas stations with air at most of them.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Depends on the beach, but there are gas stations with air at most of them.
U know of a good beach to go to my fellow Carolinian?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

You have a couple different options in the OBX. On the northern most point you have Corolla Beach. In south Nags Head you have Oregon Inlet, and even further you have Cape Hatteras which does have a nice camp ground with shower facilities. We have had some closures to deal with recently, so I dont know if the camp ground is open...good luck!! Oregon Inlet has air across the street, and Hatteras has air available within a short distance.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

I've driven Corolla. It is a wonderful view. Didn't air down at all. ran the rubi stock 32"mts and never encountered a problem.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

I was in the OBX 2 weeks ago. I guess the pover have moved on. Oregon inlet was open all the way to the bridge. There is camping at Oregon inlet and further south at Frisco. Both are state park camping. I think the sites look more interesting at Frisco. There's alot of low brushy trees there with more shelter for tent camping. I'm pretty sure you can't just pitch a tent on the beach (anymore). I think you have to be off the beach by 10:00 pm. Unless you have a fishing permit.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

I love North12 in Corolla, beach driving and staying in the houses is the best vacation ever. Hardly any people...

I did notice this year, seemed to be more people though
Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

making me wish it was warm out still to go camping on the beach!!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

This time of year you can drive in Kill Devil Hills and Nags head; however, driving in Nags head requires a permit which can be purchased at the NH town hall if you really wanted to drive there. Oregan inlet, Corolla, and Frisco are all also good beach driving spots. I personally never let the air out of my tires but bring a small air compressor and a tire pressure gauge with me in case i get stuck. So far I haven't had to use them. I feel the drive north of Corolla is the best... you may get lucky and see some wild horses.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowjk22
This time of year you can drive in Kill Devil Hills and Nags head; however, driving in Nags head requires a permit which can be purchased at the NH town hall if you really wanted to drive there. Oregan inlet, Corolla, and Frisco are all also good beach driving spots. I personally never let the air out of my tires but bring a small air compressor and a tire pressure gauge with me in case i get stuck. So far I haven't had to use them. I feel the drive north of Corolla is the best... you may get lucky and see some wild horses.
Awesome! I will not tell anyone to visit there so it can stay quiet. I use to love going to Pawleys Island which is 40min from Myrtle Beach but now its become overrun with tourists almost which sucks!

Quick Reply: Beach driving in the OBX!