Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Beach driving in the OBX!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This time of year you'll have warmer water near Hatteras. I think the plover are gone so you can drive there. Here is a link to find out what beaches are open.
Nags Head is still at the end of high season. Most of the stuff will still be open. I personally like driving at Ocracoke, as the entire island is free to drive on. You have to ride a boat to get there though. It's also worth it to go to Portsmouth Island once. I wouldn't wheel there unless fishing though, as a ferry ride costs a ton more than just a boat ride.
I saw a couple dozen wild horses up north a few weeks ago. The weather was very nice and condusive to them being out.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SCJK08
Awesome! I will not tell anyone to visit there so it can stay quiet. I use to love going to Pawleys Island which is 40min from Myrtle Beach but now its become overrun with tourists almost which sucks!
I'm headed that way in the morning.. staying in Currituck for the week.. will be on the beach in Corolla fishing. Running channel 8 if you have a cb.. give me a shout.

I go three or four times a year.. Corolla is the place to go if you want to drive on the beach..
Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's where i'm thing of going in july 2010 . I hear you can the sand dunns from OBX to VB.
Just keep eye out for the horse
Old 10-10-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by zuba
That's where i'm thing of going in july 2010 . I hear you can the sand dunns from OBX to VB.
Just keep eye out for the horse
???........

watch out for this guy
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

I highly recommend portsmouth island. When we were there a year ago we tent camped on the south end of the island. we only saw 2 other people and the ranger the entire time we were there (about 24 hours). If you dont mind sand in your junk, and burying your logs, you'll love it. I do recommend bringing enough water to shower with a few times a day, b/c the salt and sand can drive you insane....

If you're not quite that into ruffing it, there are a couple of cabins that run of solar energy for the sissies

Walking down the beach getting charged by 2 of the wild horses:

Sunset on the west side of the island:
Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SCJK08
I want to know where to go in the OBX that I can drive on the beach and possibly camp on the beach. Im hoping to go this weekend if weather permits. Also are there places near the beaches that I can air back up or do I need to take a pump? Thanks!!!
I've been going up to Corolla the past couple of years. Plenty of beach to drive on up there, and there's a convenience store to air back up about a mile down the road from where you get back on the pavement.

The one thing is that I'm pretty sure that there's no camping up on the beaches north of Corolla.

Quick Reply: Beach driving in the OBX!