Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

best value winch kit/bag?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best value winch kit/bag?

I have a jeep, and a warn winch. Going to Moab next year with no buddy jeep (alone).

What winch bag and accessories would you recommend? Any links?

I think this one looks sufficient, but is it high-priced? [urlhxx p://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300767589277[/url]

Thanks for input. This is one of those things I imagine once I get, I will never sell, so I don't want regrets.

Last edited by 19Delta; 08-28-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for moving!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I should of worded it different.

What do you think is necessary to have in your winch bag? For example, I think I would prefer a tree saver over a short chain.... what do your prefer? I know I need a snatch block. I have gloves (and I have a synthetic rope). I don't want to carry every possible accessory, but I don't want to end up in Moab on a trail alone wishing I had a __________ either.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Northridge makes a good kit.

Here is my suggestion in order of importance

1 Make sure you have at least 1 good strap.

2. 1-2 good shackles

3 2nd good strap/Tree Saver

4 Snatch Block
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Ive been researching this a lot, I would have One or two d-rings, include the short chain, snatch block and tree saver like you said. Put in a bag with your gloves, you'll have room left over for some channel locks, extra cotter pins maybe a repair kit for the syn line...go with heavier rated snatch block and rings, it's better to have too much than too little.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKBobAZ
Northridge makes a good kit.

Here is my suggestion in order of importance

1 Make sure you have at least 1 good strap.

2. 1-2 good shackles

3 2nd good strap/Tree Saver

4 Snatch Block
I have smitty bilt bumpers F&R with 2 screw shackles each, so I am good there. Have an old snatch strap, need a new one, keep the old as a spare. Can I use a snatch strap wrapped several times around tree as a tree strap or will it stretch? Need a snatch block for sure.

I was on another thread (forgot which one) and there was a link to a warn winch user guide. It had lots of cool stuff, but the coolest idea I saw was burying your spare tire or a log with a chain around it up the trail as a winch point. Lots of work, but if your stuck and alone, it would work! *now I need a chain*

good stuff guys, keep it coming.

I am starting to think I may be better off just buying a good back and ordering everything else separate to full it.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good posts guys, but you wouldn't catch me doing Moab without a buddy / spotter. It was crazy enough with 3 other buddies and their JKs. There aren't a lot of spots to hook a winch to if you do happen to get stuck / roll over.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CDN-JK
Good posts guys, but you wouldn't catch me doing Moab without a buddy / spotter. It was crazy enough with 3 other buddies and their JKs. There aren't a lot of spots to hook a winch to if you do happen to get stuck / roll over.
I totally agree, but I am from Indiana, and my pals aren't going. Because of that I will be sticking to moderate trails.

How often do you see people on trails in Moab?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 19Delta
I totally agree, but I am from Indiana, and my pals aren't going. Because of that I will be sticking to moderate trails.

How often do you see people on trails in Moab?
Couldn't tell you.. when we went we didn't see anyone on Hells Revenge the whole day (Aug 10th).
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

I saw a total of 2 vehicles on a moderate trail and 2 ATV's on Fins and Things. Run Fins and Things, great trail labeled as advanced, but I ran it in my JKU X with 33" MTR-K tires. If it rains things can get much harder.

Quick Reply: best value winch kit/bag?