Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Best way to disconnect the front sway bar...

Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to disconnect the front sway bar...

I have seen three interior sidewalls popped on the trail this year, and pictures of more here on the site. All were sway bars that were disconnected at the axle, rotated up, and zip tied away from the "danger zone" of suspension movement. Somehow, the zip ties failed, and the sway bar connector met the sidewall, and POP. My guess is at max articulation, something presses on the sway bar and breaks the zip tie.

Is there a better way, I don't know. I advocate quick disco(nnects) as a first upgrade to increase reliability and ride comfort in the rocks, but in lieu of the $100 it costs, is there a safer way to disconnect a 100% stock rig.

I remember a conversation (but cannot remember with who) about someone who only disconnects one side, then takes the disconnected side's link and zip ties it back onto the sway bar itself, not to the frame.

Interesting idea, has anyone else tried it?
Anyone have any other suggestions to insure no tire distruction?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know much as this is all still new to me but I do know that only disco-ing one side can lead to trouble (and lots of metal grinding noises that you don't want to hear on the trail). At least it did for me...

I did the quick disco solution offered here with the clevis pin. Works great so far. I also use a 14" Velcro strap to strap the bar up and out of the way. Total cost was maybe $10 for the pins and washers and grommets.

Zip ties seemed to break too quickly for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far hitting the button seems to work, but it's not lifted yet.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

What's your wheel backspacing? Also, IIRC your bolts on the sway bar links were installed such that they penetrated more deeply into the space for the tires. You've since reversed those, correct?

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-17-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

I wonder if that <2" of difference between stock and 4.5" BS would make enough difference... I am using the Teraflex quick discos... they look very similar to Imkunfused's......... no rubbing or contact that I can see... but not sure where things pan out when the suspension is fully stuffed.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

is anybody using Rough Country discos? I just got a set and was wondering if anyone had any feedback
Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

on this note of sway bar disconnects, how much performance gain can i expect to see from a stock jk 4 door sahara with the 18inch wheels and tires? Will it be a noticeable thing off road or am I better to save my money for a good suspension kit and tires? Didn't know if by disconnecting them I would see like a 2 or 3 inch movement in my suspension, etc... Thnx
Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

just unbolt your stock swaybars and youll feel the difference..
Old 09-27-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HawesEA2
on this note of sway bar disconnects, how much performance gain can i expect to see from a stock jk 4 door sahara with the 18inch wheels and tires? Will it be a noticeable thing off road or am I better to save my money for a good suspension kit and tires? Didn't know if by disconnecting them I would see like a 2 or 3 inch movement in my suspension, etc... Thnx

I can tell you from my experience without a current lift, it does make a huge difference. It makes the Jeep stay much more on balance and articulate a great deal!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HawesEA2
Disconnecting is like the difference betwen sitting in a church pew and a lazyboy offroad... once you try it, you will disconnect all the time, so a quick, safe method is needed.

Combine discos with airing down to 15lbs... its like heaven (comparatively speaking)...

Quick Reply: Best way to disconnect the front sway bar...