Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Best Winch for the Buck?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Winch for the Buck?

Alright I'm not sure if this is the best place for this tread but it makes sense to me to put it here. Anyways I'mthinking it's about time to invest in a Winch. Was wondering if you guys & gals could help me make an informed choice. As the title reads...post up pics and details of what you all are running and any draw backs/facts that you might feel are important when considering a winch. Last thing I want to do is regret this mod.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont know if you know this yet but if you have a 2 door an 8k lb winch is right size and a 4 door usually 9-10k lb winch. i dont know which winch is best for money but i want to.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 AM
HV
JK Enthusiast

milemarker best bang for the buck or the 8k warren there around the mid 500s good luck
Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always buy quality. You do not want a cheap winch when you get stuck. If you have to pay someone to pull you out then you will not have saved a dime much less your time and pride.

Milemarker makes a good product but can't beat Warn. Also recreational winches are rated for the last wrap and slowest speed before stall. So don't be afraid to buy a 12k winch. The only sacrafice for more power is line pull speed and I don't believe you will be in rock crawling race.

Don't forget the accessories like snatch block, straps, etc. A snatch block is worth its weight in gold but you have to have the riggings to go with it.

Last edited by toymaster; 09-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the smittybilt xrc8 on my unlimited and it does just fine. They changed a few things on it in the last year or two. It has done it's job just fine for me. and for $299 shipped it can't be beat. although it might be more up where you are. When I was researching this I found that the people that had warns recommended not to go cheap and spend the money on the warn. I also found that most who had the smittybilt or milemarker (exact same winch just a different sticker) said they were great.

Last edited by rich1340; 09-11-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Not again

Smittybilt SUCKS - works some times - not all the time. Does not work after a watercrossing...??Maybe no winch does??? I'd like a winch that will work when fully submerged in muddy water, is that asking too much?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

warn m8000. spend the extra 200$ from the equivalent smittybilt. you can often find the m8000s for 599$. i spent $1200 on my warn 9.5ti and dont regret it one bit.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the new Mile Marker with solid state instead of solenoid. Allows variable line speed. Thats a HUGE plus. Even slow pull sometimes is too fast.

That being said I bought a Rugged Ridge 10.5k. I just couldnt afford the Mile Marker. I will replace my RR with the MM and move the RR to the rear when I have the money.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
Smittybilt SUCKS - works some times - not all the time. Does not work after a watercrossing...??Maybe no winch does??? I'd like a winch that will work when fully submerged in muddy water, is that asking too much?
I've had my smittybilt under water many times (see my avatar) and it has worked flawlessly for 3 years. It has been plowed into mud banks, pulled me through the rocks after breaking an axle and winched a lifted unlimited rubi with no problem. That night we winched for 7 hours straight with 2 other smittybuilt winches and they all preformed great. The biggest problem you are going to have is making sure your battery can handle it.

I've had warn, ramsey and mile marker winches and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another smittybilt when the time comes.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CA-JK
I've had my smittybilt under water many times (see my avatar) and it has worked flawlessly for 3 years. It has been plowed into mud banks, pulled me through the rocks after breaking an axle and winched a lifted unlimited rubi with no problem. That night we winched for 7 hours straight with 2 other smittybuilt winches and they all preformed great. The biggest problem you are going to have is making sure your battery can handle it.

I've had warn, ramsey and mile marker winches and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another smittybilt when the time comes.
Sounds like a long night..... maybe I should take mine out and clean all the connections and check the ground. I am running dual Yellow tops so I know my battery system is up to the task. Glad to hear it, I'll double check my install.....

Quick Reply: Best Winch for the Buck?