Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Can I do the jeep jamboree with a stock JK?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Mole Lake last year with my eldest son... Had a great time... My first off-road experience. Double check minimum equipment requirements with JJUSA just to be sure. I do recommend rock rails as I saw one stock JK rip off their side step.

You'll have a great time... I'll be back again this year with my other son. Hope to see you there!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil997
I did Mole Lake last year with my eldest son... Had a great time... My first off-road experience. Double check minimum equipment requirements with JJUSA just to be sure. I do recommend rock rails as I saw one stock JK rip off their side step. You'll have a great time... I'll be back again this year with my other son. Hope to see you there!
As you see in my picture I have 3" tube side steps. It says to take them off. Sounds like I should huh.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

I did Mole Lake last year with my eldest son... Had a great time... My first off-road experience. Double check minimum equipment requirements with JJUSA just to be sure. I do recommend rock rails as I saw one stock JK rip off their side step. You'll have a great time... I'll be back again this year with my other son. Hope to see you there!
Will I be able to do most of the trails on mole lake with my stock JKU? If not all which ones?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 PM
JK Newbie

I just turned in my registration for mole lake for me and my dad so I will definitely see you there.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigblue506
As you see in my picture I have 3" tube side steps. It says to take them off. Sounds like I should huh.
Yes, even the owners manuals recommends taking them off beforehand. My buddy just busted his a few weeks back... You can now find them in the For Sale section here listed as best offer
Old 06-04-2015, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Your Jeep? ...Your tires? That is your weak point. Your stock sport is running on P (for passenger) rated tires with weak sidewalls and shallow tread (as much as 5/32 depending on tire compared to) in comparison to a lugged LT (light Truck) off road tire, be it a mud terrain or an all terrain...
Lol^ I drove my stock jeep all up and down at Windrock didn't have a problem besides what JK505 said with my running boards. As far as tires go I had all terrain 255's duelers (i think thats the name) and one of them was stabbed by a tree, JK505 proceeded to axe the F$#% out of it and once the tree branch came off my tire was perfectly fine.

So yes I would say your fine, just get a good spotter and listen.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would 255/70 R18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Tires be acceptable?
The same applies. They're street tires.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
The same applies. They're street tires.
I was looking at Bridgestone mud terrain T/A tires. The ones the rubicon comes with. Any good there?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at Bridgestone mud terrain T/A tires. The ones the rubicon comes with. Any good there?
I'm not sure what tire you're looking at. I've yet to see a Rubicon leave the factory on anything other than BFG KM1 or KM2 tires.

Buying tires for a jeep is a balancing act between good off-road performance and all of the other driving you do. I ran KM2s got almost a year and a half; a fantastic off road tire but for that other 90% of my driving maybe not the best pick. Right now I'm running Hankook MTs, still as great off road as the KM2s were and a little better on the highway but still not the ideal balance between both worlds (is there one?)

You're in the northern U.S. Your tire needs across that spectrum of off road and highway usage has a few more variables than my needs, snow for one. People in your neck of the woods rave about Goodyear Duratracs whereas down in my neck of the woods the same tire is disdained for its fragile sidewalls, frequently cut on sharp rocks. Different areas, different needs.

Find out what tire other Jeepers in your area recommend, not what the tire store guy is pushing on sale at the moment. My recommendation is that you look at light truck LT tires, not passenger P-Metric tires, as airing down and sharp objects are the death of P-Metrics. Next I'd recommend as open a tread pattern as you can get while balancing your on and off road driving needs.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The Goodyear duratrac or its sister tires the Kelly safari or Fierce attitude are good choice where you are at as a good all around tire. I would look into a set on 16" or 17" wheels if you are buying them for your off road adventure. It will give you more side wall flex for traction and the rubber cost less in smaller wheel sizes. I would stay away from E rated tires> C would be best. I have a buddy that runs the Cooper SST and they hook up well for traction at Badlands park there in Indiana.

Quick Reply: Can I do the jeep jamboree with a stock JK?