Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Can I do the jeep jamboree with a stock JK?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Thanks for this.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You can run off road with AT tires and don't get all hung up about throwing a bunch of stuff at your jeep to make it more off road capable. For new jeepers the lack of knowing how to drive off road is what gets them into trouble on the trails, not their equipment. Go out enjoy the jeep and meet new people, don't let people talk you into taking a line you are not comfortable with. Wheel with people that have done it for a while and take some time to watch how more experienced drivers tackle the harder obstacles. Ask questions and be aware of the surroundings.

Most people I see that buy a new jeep and throw a new set of 33's on it and do a couple of off road day want to move up to bigger tires in a very short time as they watch the big boys go out and drive over everything. Lots of stuff goes into big tires done properly so take your time and you will find your comfort zone in the jeep and what level you want to build. It is an addiction no question.

Enjoy the new jeep and hit the trails. Badlands is one of the best places in the Midwest to wheel if you can get down to there.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I'm not sure what tire you're looking at. I've yet to see a Rubicon leave the factory on anything other than BFG KM1 or KM2 tires. Buying tires for a jeep is a balancing act between good off-road performance and all of the other driving you do. I ran KM2s got almost a year and a half; a fantastic off road tire but for that other 90% of my driving maybe not the best pick. Right now I'm running Hankook MTs, still as great off road as the KM2s were and a little better on the highway but still not the ideal balance between both worlds (is there one?) You're in the northern U.S. Your tire needs across that spectrum of off road and highway usage has a few more variables than my needs, snow for one. People in your neck of the woods rave about Goodyear Duratracs whereas down in my neck of the woods the same tire is disdained for its fragile sidewalls, frequently cut on sharp rocks. Different areas, different needs. Find out what tire other Jeepers in your area recommend, not what the tire store guy is pushing on sale at the moment. My recommendation is that you look at light truck LT tires, not passenger P-Metric tires, as airing down and sharp objects are the death of P-Metrics. Next I'd recommend as open a tread pattern as you can get while balancing your on and off road driving needs.
Looked at what you said about the KM2 and KM3 and the BFG Mud Terrain I was looking at was a T/A KM2 so they should be pretty good huh?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblue506
Looked at what you said about the KM2 and KM3 and the BFG Mud Terrain I was looking at was a T/A KM2 so they should be pretty good huh?
As I mentioned in the beginning, Craigslist (and the marketplace at this forum) is full of sets of these tire/wheel combos, near new, removed from Rubicons for sale relatively cheaply. I think they're a great option that doesn't break the bank all the while giving a new Jeeper a set of tires that'll perform well offroad. They're great "intro" tires for the money when purchased as takeoffs.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
As I mentioned in the beginning, Craigslist (and the marketplace at this forum) is full of sets of these tire/wheel combos, near new, removed from Rubicons for sale relatively cheaply. I think they're a great option that doesn't break the bank all the while giving a new Jeeper a set of tires that'll perform well offroad. They're great "intro" tires for the money when purchased as takeoffs.
I usually do eBay. Is Craigslist free?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually do eBay. Is Craigslist free?
Craigslist is free and can be a great resource for buying and selling locally. Be smart and use common sense when using it though.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

One of the best things you can do is throw some swaybar discos on there. It will make a huge difference with open Diffs. You'll be able to use all the suspension travel of your jeep, keep your tires planted on the ground, and improve the ride offroad.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Just bought a jeep JKU 4dr unlimited sport. It has the basic 31-32" wrangler wheels and tires 255 75R17. I'm looking to go to the jeep jamboree event in the northwoods of Wisconsin with my dad this July. Can my stock JK handle some or most of those trails? If yes how well and if no what should I upgrade and why?
Hey Wisconsin

I purchased a used 2012 jk sport it came with BFG Rubicon tires. There great off road tires, but up here (I'm from Michigan) in the north
where it snows and rains and you get ice they can be pretty scary when you try to turn or brake. I was on I75 one day on way to the
store hit the brakes and did about three donuts and almost put it in the ditch. Went out next day and bought Goodyear Duratracs
They are probably one of the best off road/on road tires you can get that do both well. I love mine, know friend who has a set with
with 25,000 mi. on them still have over half of the tread left. They are very quiet (the soft top makes more noise) on the road. The only
downside I can see is they have 2ply side walls, so you have to be careful when off road. O another thing if it is a official jamboree you
will need a cb radio or they won't let you on the run, you need it for spotters and guides for communications. Try to use small radio
jeeps don't have a lot of room for stuff. Cobra model 76 is a good choice, the unit goes up under the dash and all you need to mount is the
mike. I bought a full size and have to make a custom mount, all the good places are taken up with other stuff. I hope this helped, and
keep the rubber side in the dirt.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepnstien
Hey Wisconsin I purchased a used 2012 jk sport it came with BFG Rubicon tires. There great off road tires, but up here (I'm from Michigan) in the north where it snows and rains and you get ice they can be pretty scary when you try to turn or brake. I was on I75 one day on way to the store hit the brakes and did about three donuts and almost put it in the ditch. Went out next day and bought Goodyear Duratracs They are probably one of the best off road/on road tires you can get that do both well. I love mine, know friend who has a set with with 25,000 mi. on them still have over half of the tread left. They are very quiet (the soft top makes more noise) on the road. The only downside I can see is they have 2ply side walls, so you have to be careful when off road. O another thing if it is a official jamboree you will need a cb radio or they won't let you on the run, you need it for spotters and guides for communications. Try to use small radio jeeps don't have a lot of room for stuff. Cobra model 76 is a good choice, the unit goes up under the dash and all you need to mount is the mike. I bought a full size and have to make a custom mount, all the good places are taken up with other stuff. I hope this helped, and keep the rubber side in the dirt.
Thanks for the advice. It is a official jamboree in the Northwoods. I would love some 35s duratracs right now but I need to lift it up for the tires I really want. I got some rubicon take offs some Mud Terrains TAs to help me out up there for now. It's my first time and doing it to mostly learn and chat with other jeep peeps to find out what I want to do in the future with my jeep in regards to lift, what types of lifts and tires. And other mods. Basically what to do and not to do.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Jamborees have different levels of trails and most are pretty mild as they are geared to the new jeeper. They will have guides that will help spot drivers thru the tougher spots and give them tips on how to pick proper lines and such. It is more of a social gathering then off roading. The only real thing to consider is tires as you may have traction issues if it is muddy.
Dirtman hit it spot on. It's a very relaxed and social offroad environment. Everyone helps out and for me was very educational when I went for the first time. I'd deff grab some mud 32s and you'll be fine. The jamboree is geared toward the stock crowd.

Quick Reply: Can I do the jeep jamboree with a stock JK?