Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Can i pull....

Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i pull....

People out who are stuch in beach sand?? I have a manual 4x4.

I javent dome it before like this, but i just wanna make sure i wont break anything.

My rig: 2010 sahara 4x4'. 3.5" rough country and nitto trail 34s is all i nave done to her.. I have the hitch reciever that i bought a bull ring attachment for, and a yank strap ot tow rope, whatever its called... Its rated up to 10,000 lbs. My gears are 3.73. I dont wanna go start pullin out hot girls to then it not work. What should my tire pressure be at? And lastly 4H or 4L?

Dependong on the vehicle stuck obviously, depends on where i can connect my strap to their car.
What are some good common places to connect? Mind you i do not have a hook, the strap has a strong loop at both ends.. I had planned on making a loop from from the strap itself .

Car being pulled out.. Do i want them in neutral, or giving it somd gas they need their tires straight, correct?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Of course you can pull them out. Before you get that far try airing down their tires by at least half and digging out tires if they are buried. That alone might make them able to drive out themselves. Might want to bring a shovel along with you and some 2x4's. 2x4's under the tires will help get traction. You can even use a tow chain laid out in front of the drive tires to get traction. If you have all that you probably won't have to pull them out.
But if you do you definitely want to attach your strap to something meant for towing. They won't be to happy if you pull them out but break something in the process.
Is it a snatch strap or a tow strap? Snatch strap will act like a bungee cord where a tow strap will not stretch. With s snatch strap get a small run going before tightening the strap and jerking them out. Tow strap slowly take slack out and pull. You should already have your tire pressure down too, 10-15 psi.

And oh yeah, don't get yourself stuck in the process
Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

sorry to thread jack, but i have never really driven to much on the beach and im just wondering how easy it is to get stuck, by beach time my rubi will be on 35's with a 3 inch lift. i feel like it would be near impossible to get stuck but maby im just to confident. do lockers and disconnecting swaybars help at all in the sand?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
sorry to thread jack, but i have never really driven to much on the beach and im just wondering how easy it is to get stuck, by beach time my rubi will be on 35's with a 3 inch lift. i feel like it would be near impossible to get stuck but maby im just to confident. do lockers and disconnecting swaybars help at all in the sand?

It's incredibly easy to get stuck in loose dry sand. Disconnected sway-bars won't do much as they allow you to articulate the suspension more then usual. Lockers will help all tires maintain/gain traction. Always air down your tires and try not to stop or spin your tires.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 lo always to pull someone out. Make sure your aired down aswell in the sand.
If your gonna do this regularly, make sure you have a good snatch strap-on.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
make sure you have a good snatch strap-on.
I say no more talkin' to her until she puts up some pics............lol
Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good deeds

Pulled lotsa people out when I was staying at Matagorda TX, from F-250s to little sh!t boxes. Lockers, 4Lo and airing down really helps. A shovel can be a necessity. I usually tell them to put it in gear and give it easy throttle. Pull downhill whenever possible.

Be careful where you hook up to cars that don't have tow points. You can easily damage suspension and body work and then they want you to pay for it. No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
4 lo always to pull someone out. Make sure your aired down aswell in the sand.
If your gonna do this regularly, make sure you have a good snatch strap-on.
Oh i got me a good strap on buddy. U just dont worry about that!! My strap on does the job perfectly! ;-)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something to think about...
You said you were going to hook up to your hitch...

I would warn against this. It is very easy to bend the pin you put in your hitch...
And of course a royal pain to get it out if you have bent it...

The hitch pin is not made to take shock loads... it is ment to take a static load.

So, attach to an actual recovery point on your Jeep to tow or be towed out of anyhting. Recovery points are almost always attached to your frame rail...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmphoto
Something to think about...
You said you were going to hook up to your hitch...

I would warn against this. It is very easy to bend the pin you put in your hitch...
And of course a royal pain to get it out if you have bent it...

The hitch pin is not made to take shock loads... it is ment to take a static load.

So, attach to an actual recovery point on your Jeep to tow or be towed out of anyhting. Recovery points are almost always attached to your frame rail...
On my hitch i have one of the heavy duty locking hitch pins and its one of the bull ring things.. Is that setup okay to pull with?

Quick Reply: Can i pull....