Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Cheap winches-Thank you Harbor Freight

Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap winches-Thank you Harbor Freight

Just recieved an email from them and it had this:

Offroad Winch - 12,000 lb. Offroad Winch w/ Automatic Brake

12k lbs, 299 (with the little coupon code you can barely see). I'm tempted to buy it and use it. I've read a bunch of reviews and most seem to give the company itself a thumbs up, can't find many reviews on this unit but if its as good as the other products I think I'll be ok. Any opinions?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

I'm in the same boat. Figured for 299 it's worth a shot.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't skimp out on recovery gear just because it's when quality really matter to pull you out of a sticky situation when there is no help available
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

I'm still buying the rest of the stuff, but this is a great deal. I watched my buddies warn 9k break after its second use, so you just never know. Again, for 299 why not give it a shot? better to have something than nothing at all.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blubaldmontess
Just recieved an email from them and it had this:

Offroad Winch - 12,000 lb. Offroad Winch w/ Automatic Brake

12k lbs, 299 (with the little coupon code you can barely see). I'm tempted to buy it and use it. I've read a bunch of reviews and most seem to give the company itself a thumbs up, can't find many reviews on this unit but if its as good as the other products I think I'll be ok. Any opinions?

I have the 10K and the 8K....I don't climb rocks and most of my off roading is trails and "nontrails"....would I bet my life on one....no...would I not have a winch...no...

I have had mine and use it probably once a month pulling myself out of situations that I shouldn't have been in.

As for daily use...go with something better...as for random use...I have no worries on it.

They are slow and they are heavy but they pull you out.....

Just my opinion....
Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

X2 I agree, if you don't need a heavy duty one, go for it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor

I have personally ran Harbor Freight winches on some of my rigs, and buddies of mine as well. Honestly, I put it this way. You either go Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch, or one of the other "Top" brands, or go with whatever "cheap" one is the best value. I have seen people mess up a RC winch, Smittybilt, HF, but also good brands.

The way I see it is the HR winch is a great value, with strong pull, and they offer a warranty for a good price, plus they might be local to you so getting that replacement wouldnt be too bad.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cheap and winch don't go together. I've seen a few cheap winches come apart when under load. You only need it to fail once and I'll spend the extra for that piece of mind.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the HF 12K on my jeep and I have had 3 more on my 3 previous full size rigs and never had one fail and have used them very often, we even have them on our trailers at work that we winch equipment with daily with no issues, we've burned up 4 Warn 9.5's prior to these. With HF no questions asked 2 year warranty for $75 thats renewable you can't go wrong even if they do fail, numerous guys in my offroad club return theres with nothing wrong with it every 6 months for a new one just cause they can.

Quick Reply: Cheap winches-Thank you Harbor Freight