Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Cliffs Insane Terrain, 1st time

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
Gotchya... well... give it a try again in time.. ease her back into it and maybe include some other activities along with the wheeling.. like stay at a nice hotel overnight.. some easy trails that might have some spectacular views might help too.

Do you know any other couples that might want to go along or have their own rig??

She might not be so worried about the damage now that you broke the "damage cherry".

Good luck, I hope she gives it another chance.
Ditto - find a B&B nearby and do some research and find some girly stuff to do the day after. 1 day wheeling, half day shopping for her stuff = less worries about broken mirrors.

p.s. My girlfriend looks at drainage ponds and prompts "bet you couldn't drive through that". But then, she's not making the payments
Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips. I have to sit low for a while but I think I could ease her in abit agin. I have a friend with a late 40's Willy's. If we go maybe he'll help me find some acceptable areas. (I have 3 boys, the youngest 15, so maybe if we went a few times, she'll want to "be with the family". I'm working on easing her in but time will have to be considered.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

If you can swing it, get into one of Bill Burke's courses.
www.bb4wa.com/
You'll learn more in 2 days than you will in a year and you'll be doing it with others who are new as well. I've done 2 trips with Bill and wheel with much more knowledge and confidence.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Funny how the wife will react. But you have to also break them in slowly.

Our first Jeeping adventures were simple dirt roads where we live with the top down in the Pinckney Recreation Area.

Then we did a simple trip on the Michigan west coast, and did simple seasonal roads with a little Silver Lake Sand dunes.

Next major trip was with the club where we went to Drummond Island. Here the problem was Mud, so I strattled the mud holes, one side in and the other side up with the lockers on. On the way our the very last mud hole I had trouble getting up the bank as the tires were just filled with mud and I had no traction. She screamed then jumped out of the jeep saying Ill never do this again bla bla bla

The we go out ok after I hit a tree gunning it with no damage to the plastic fenderr. I love plastic cause it bends and 303 hids the scratches.

Anyway after we are all done and eat dinner then she laughs about it and said she had fun.

Now after a camping trip in the UP with the RV all she did was complain how we dont have the jeep so we cant go jeepin in the woods and trails.

So Rv was sold tuesday and now I'm looking for a light weight camping trailor to pull with the jeep. so we can go jeeping.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I remember waaaaay back when I took my first few off road rides. When my husband came to a spot that made me uncomfortable I would grab my camera and use it for an excuse to get out of the Jeep and take some pictures of him driving over/down the obstacle. When I got more experience and gained confidence I forgot the camera bit. Now when I am driving I toss the camera to my son who comes in his Jeep and yell, "Take a picture!"

I suggest bringing a camera along and when you come to an intimidating spot, hand her the camera and say, "Honey, you are so great with the camera, would you mind standing over there and taking a picture of me and the Jeep?" She will be flattered and welcome the chance to save face and leave the vehicle. Eventually she might just decide to stay in the Jeep too.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sciguy6
Well I went and got part way and chickened out at a spot (On the easy trail) that I didn't know how to handle and tried to back out and hit a rut and broke my mirror and rubbed a tree on the passenger (top of the door) and totally freaked my wife. She won't be coming back. Doesn't understand what the draw is and why I would want to wreck a $30,000 vehicle. Misunderstanding as I thought she would want to go the first time and she said she really didn't. The thing that bugs me is doing damage chickening out. My wife was out of it before that, the mirror just cemented it. My son got yelled at for thinking it was the coolest thing he ever did. I had to have a heart to heart on women (like his mom) and when to speak up on such things. Jeep ladies, YOU understand.
hey sorry to hear about the hole wife thing but i have heard about the cliffs and im not into tearing my shit up but have you heard about this https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/great-lakes-48/badlands-9-27-28-a-52036/ im going and my son is also going from what i have read they have different trails and their will be guides so they will know what you can and cant do so maybe take her with and get her toes whet with some easy trails she may like it i am not a hard core kinda guy and like i said before im not going to tear my shit up its a every day driver something to look into

Quick Reply: Cliffs Insane Terrain, 1st time