Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

clutch VS water

Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch VS water

How much water can the factory clutch actually take before its fried? I would assume mud would be worse than water but before I jump into either I would like to know. Any advice on how much it can or can't take?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earfixr
How much water can the factory clutch actually take before its fried? I would assume mud would be worse than water but before I jump into either I would like to know. Any advice on how much it can or can't take?
Stay out of deep water. Deep water is for auto transmission.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

As long as you aren't shifting while the clutch is submerged, you should be fine. Well, speed shifting is okay, just as long as you don't use the clutch. The problem with a manual and water is that the clutch housing is open allowing water to get in and with the water comes dirt and grime that will then get between the clutch plate, pressure plate, and flywheel and start grinding away at things, eventually causing premature failure. As long as the clutch is engaged, the bad things shouldn't get in there. So, rule of thumb is don't stop, and don't shift. Going through water, you should maintain a constant speed anyway. If you stall out, don't push the clutch in. Let it be. If you are in 4 lo you can start without the clutch anyway, or have someone pull you out. I've been in muddy water that went well over the clutch housing, in fact, scarily close to the intake, and was in the water for quite a while, and haven't had a problem, at least I haven't had to replace a clutch yet.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck mixing clutch and water.. water wins almost all the time in all cases.....

This is the ONLY reason Im glad I got an auto.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

This has been the year of the clutch ... I've never seen so many clutches let go or damn near get toasted (mine included damn mud & silt) .

You must remember NEVER EVER press in the clutch when it is submerged in water or when the housing is packed with mud/silt/sand/dirt.... If you need to shift into reverse or 1st, shut the engine off, shift into the gear you want (WITHOUT) pressing the clutch (don't even think about touching it) and then restart your engine... When you're in 4Lo your jeep will start without the clutch being depressed... You might just have to give it a little gas...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Red
As long as you aren't shifting while the clutch is submerged, you should be fine.
I don't agree. Even if you don't shift in deep water. Sand and mud come inside your transmission around the clutch, and you will have a big surprise in a few months...

If you do it, don't expect to keep the same clutch more than 3 years

Last edited by Yoda; 11-18-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

WooHoo, my lease is up in 3 years! Seriously though, I've never had to disengage the clutch in water. If I ever have to stop in water I just turn off the engine. The starter works without the clutch in 4LO
Old 11-18-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
I don't agree. Even if you don't shift in deep water. Sand and mud come inside your transmission around the clutch, and you will have a big surprise in a few months...

I have a snorkel and raised my breathers up. Have done all work myself. I go through deep water on about a once a month basis. Sometimes it is even over the hood. I have had the JEEP for 3 years now, and have nothing wrong with my clutch that I can tell. Water is risky business, there are a few different camps on this......some are terrified of it and will tell you to avoid it at all costs......some people think they are U-boat commanders.

Anyways, I do not depress my clutch in it.....but to say that you will HAVE TO replace a clutch within 3 years is total crap. The state of Florida is a huge swamp, half the time I wheel the trail is over 2feet of water in the shallow areas. Make the proper modifications to your JEEP (just like you would with rocks, trails, etc.) to suit the terrain you are wheeling in. Then, do proper maintence yourself on your JEEP. I get stuck in deep water all the time, dont push the clutch in just get pulled out.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

It's your Jeep....
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Freedom

I guess I'm not all to worried about the clutch lasting for the life of the vehicle. It is a wear item, like breaks. An afternoon and a couple of beers swaping out the clutch every 3 years isn't the end of the world. And I expect that the clutch will last long past 3 years.

As far as the transmission, well, I got a new one after 16000 miles. Gotta love the lifetime drive train warranty. However, the tranny failure had nothing to do with driving in water, it was a material failure.

Quick Reply: clutch VS water