Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Did I burn my clutch or what???

Old 05-25-2008, 10:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I burn my clutch or what???

I was pulling a lightly loaded trailer with my front receiver, In reverse , backing up a steep little pitch. For about twenty feet I was slipping the clutch a fair amount.
I had my Rubi in 4h-but the pitch was paved and solid. Nothing I did seemed that extreme but I made a big cloud of stinky smoke that smelled like burnt brakes. Everything went back to normal except the smell continues to come thru my heater blower. I don't have enough 4wd experience to put this in perspective. What happened?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

from what ive seen when u see a big cloud of smoke on a man. vehicle the cluth is prob shot or very close to being shot. is this the white smoke your talking about, its a firebird but same point,
youtube.com/watch?v=V_Cef2p2B4k not being a smartass or anything but how come u didnt pull the trailer from the rear? no rear reciver? just wondering.

Last edited by sliverGstoneJK; 05-25-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default tight spot

... not being a smartass or anything but how come u didnt pull the trailer from the rear? no rear reciver? just wondering.[/QUOTE]
-I was putting the trailer into a really tight spot on a steep curving ledge road with a dropoff-too hairy for me to back it.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

ic, well u could also take it to the dealer and say there's a problem with the transmission,
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 PM
JK Freak

Default hmmm

Does any gears feel "off" or not normal? expcially reverse? if not I would think it is your clutch.... We all know what burnt clutch smells like...
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sliverGstoneJK
from what ive seen when u see a big cloud of smoke on a man. vehicle the cluth is prob shot or very close to being shot. is this the white smoke your talking about, its a firebird but same point,
youtube.com/watch?v=V_Cef2p2B4k not being a smartass or anything but how come u didnt pull the trailer from the rear? no rear reciver? just wondering.
If he has his clutch all the way out how is he burning his clutch?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
If he has his clutch all the way out how is he burning his clutch?
He said he was slipping it.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yetibear
He said he was slipping it.
Yeah, I was slipping it. But, it seems to me -not too much and not for long. This is what is puzzling me. I can't remember ever mistreating a clutch so badly as to create the cloud of smoke that appeared out my window-not to mention the lingering stench. So... keeping in mind that this is my invincible 07 JK with less than 20k miles:
1. I don't know how easy it is to smoke a new clutch?
2. I wonder what else it could be.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default thanks- that helps!

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
I'M seriously DYING over here! guys, relax it's ok!!!!

you probably took some material off the clutch, and maybe glazed the flywheel a bit, but as long as it's ok while you're driving, then you're ok! by OK i mean when you gun it it doesn't slip.

i've done it a few times crawling through the rocks with 3.21 gears and a non-rubi tcase. You get a nice stinky cloud of smoke and when it's that hot doesn't like to grip as well.

as long as it's not slipping while driving it's fine. The smell will eventually go away. You may have taken a few thousand miles off the life of your clutch, but it happens, and it's NOT a big deal!!!

next time if you're worried about it, just put her in low. People who don't know will all tell you that you're going to break your rig going into low on pavement *sigh* but it's fine. no worse than being in 4 high in that situation.
Thanks ---that helps.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been a month and a half waiting to see if the stealer I bought my JK from is going to do anything for me regarding my clutch that I supposedly burnt out.

I got ti stuck in snow by my house... and I didn't ride it or anything, and they said I burnt the clutch... 1250 bucks worth of unauthorized repairs later... still waiting for to get it back.

Quick Reply: Did I burn my clutch or what???