Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Discussion: Post-Trail Jeep Clean Up Tips

Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion: Post-Trail Jeep Clean Up Tips

I thought this would be a good place to discuss post-trail Jeep clean up.

Feel free to add your suggestions & tips!

At a minimum, after a trail I hose off the undercarriage and suspension, paying special attention to the wheel assemblies & brakes. I also hose off the engine compartment and clean out the radiator fins. I also blast the pulleys on the serpentine belt (engine running) to dislodge any stubborn debris. I always get a weird (sounds like a little bell ringing) sound coming from the pulleys after hitting the mud. It usually goes away in a week or two.. any idea what that might be (idler pulley)?

After cleaning the wheels, I then concentrate on blasting the mud out of the suspension components and off the differentials and driveshafts. Once clean, I will hit the skid plates and make sure all the mud and loose rocks are out of there so the rattles don't drive me insane after the mud dries.

Is there any danger of dislodging lubrication while pressure washing the U-joints and suspension components?
Sometimes mechanical abrasion (scraping) is the only thing that can displace the stubborn clay we have down here.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Post-Trail Jeep Clean Up Tips