Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Duct tape on wheel weights?!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duct tape on wheel weights?!

Not sure if this is a trick or a no-no or a lazy installer, but I just lost all my wheel weights on 3 of 5 tires. Took it back into the original installer (who is probably a sponsor) and they rebalanced the tires (this time adding a lot more weight?) and used duct tape to hold them on. They said this is a common problem :(

Now here in the PHX valley I know it gets hot and the inside wheel weights are held on by a glue/tape, but on a black alloy wheel the silver duct tape looks a little ridiculous!

Comments? Anyone else done this lil trick?
It works and it's a JEEP.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

looks professional......
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

you should post this in why duct tape
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JocKy
Now here in the PHX valley I know it gets hot and the inside wheel weights are held on by a glue/tape, but on a black alloy wheel the silver duct tape looks a little ridiculous!
Personally i dont like the look of tape in my wheels,but if you want, they do make black duct tape
Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They use crap weights or are trying to reuse weights or something. Them adding weight is not a big deal, I have personally put 9 ounces (NINE IS A LOT!) on my own wheels to balance them out. Chunking of lugs and the characteristics of that much rubber needing to stay "balanced" at speed can take a lot of weight to get straight.

Also, they have to use more weight because of the location. Assuming you do not want weights on the outside lip (the best location) they put them in the middle and try to get it balanced out. That usually works pretty poor, and if it does work, it takes a lot more weight.

That being said duct tape is crap. Part of the reason it may need a lot of weight is the tire, and style of your rim.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like they were too lazy to clean the inside of the wheel to get good adhesion. Yes, weights fall off, but with a bit of brake clean and some paper towels, most should stick.

They could have at least used black tape.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes this is a great solution, maybe the guys at your tire shop can put some duct tape on the kids tranny that keeps popping out of first gear.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi

take it back and have them do it right , or at least polish it to a shine
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JocKy
Not sure if this is a trick or a no-no or a lazy installer, but I just lost all my wheel weights on 3 of 5 tires. Took it back into the original installer (who is probably a sponsor) and they rebalanced the tires (this time adding a lot more weight?) and used duct tape to hold them on. They said this is a common problem :(

Comments? Anyone else done this lil trick?
It works and it's a JEEP.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen this week
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Wow. After hearing that it makes me want to reconsider my decision that I will do all my work myself. With professional service like that, I just have to let them change the brakes on my JK.

Go back, demand they do it right or get your money back and go somewhere else. The weights should stick on their own. Eventually the adhiesive will no longer hold, and you will throw the weights, and maybe, just maybe, you could stick them back on with duct tape on the trail. Do not accept this service coming directly from the shop, it is unprofessional. In fact, when I worked in a garage, and we balanced tires, and someone came in with black rims, we would even pull out the can of black spray paint and rattle can the weights black - both the adheisive ones and the ones that crimp to the rim - just so it would look a bit better. Slapping tape over them to hold them on This just really makes me mad at a people who call themselves professionals.

Quick Reply: Duct tape on wheel weights?!