Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First month with my Jeep...how can i learn...

Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First month with my Jeep...how can i learn...

So i just past the one month mark driving my jeep! Picked up a Silver '11 Sahara, and loving everything about it; except of course the gas mileage (previous vehicle was Acura TSX- 24-27mpg).

Anyhow here in NY we have had a couple real good snow storms, loved having the Jeep. The other day I had to go to parents house and the plows were not in neighborhood yet. With almost about 17-20in of snow on the road, I popped it into 4wdr...and no problems what so ever!

Now next time i see an entrance ramp to the highway not plowed...I'm going for it! Two weeks ago i hesitated and went around. I just didn't know what it could handle, and didn't want to be the guy in a jeep stuck! Heheh.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

As for off roading....what is the best way to approach this. Being i have zero off road experience how can i learn the techniques, etc.

Living on Long Island (NY), i know there is no where legally to off road other than the beaches. What do you recommend?

Thanks for the help!
-Evan
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evan631
As for off roading....what is the best way to approach this. Being i have zero off road experience how can i learn the techniques, etc.

Living on Long Island (NY), i know there is no where legally to off road other than the beaches. What do you recommend?
Find a off-road or jeep club to join. Even if there isn't one on the Island, there will be one somewhere close.

Or move.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
You haven't wheeled until you have gotten yourself stuck....
I agree with this..

It can be fun getting stuck and it really only sucks if you can't get out.
get some recovery gear and go get stuck... bring a friend

experience ...... is the only way

Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Im a new jeep owner as well, luckily were i live their is plenty of dirt around. Ive been taking it easy and trying different things slowly. Ive got these steep hills close to here (steep to me) and the first time i went up it, i did not make it. If i would of had a piece of coal in my a** i would of shot out a BIG diamond. Now i go up it like nothing, but then it took a while for me to go down the thing. Ive manned up and went down it now, so now every other day or so i do those little hills. I guess it just takes time to get use of the jeep and how it feels when doing this stuff. My 02 cents....and go out with a club, alot of experience their.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh the first couple times I wheeled my JK I probably looked like a scared little rookie all white knuckled and crimping my Pampers.

After a while I stopped really worrying about it, these JKs kill it. Especially in the snow. I get honked at a lot because my tires throw crud off the streets all over vehicle to the sides of the Jeep. In all their anger, they still wish they had what we are all driving
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Club

Long Island Off Road Club
liorclub.org
Old 01-16-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Manual or auto ?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

oakdale isnt too far from me, ya get stuck msg me ill come get you :-p just got back from going out and climbing snow piles.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

I am still a newbie, but I have been on some interesting trails. A club is an excellent way to go. I have been fortunate to have some very experienced folks take me with them. My advice is to not go out a lone on trails. You might do everything right and still get something broken and be stuck a long way from civizilation. I don't know about back east, but out here cell phone coverage is spotty on the trails. Enjoy your Sahara and have lots of fun.
DESERT DUST
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome and post some pics!

Quick Reply: First month with my Jeep...how can i learn...