JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   First off road weekend. Any tips (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/first-off-road-weekend-any-tips-180264/)

Carlooch 05-31-2011 08:48 AM

First off road weekend. Any tips

Hey everyone.
Im bringing the jeep on it's first off road weekend. Got a stock 09 wrangler unlimited. Taking it northern Quebec. Logger roads. Bush trails. And whatever else. Any tips?

medic_23387 05-31-2011 08:55 AM

Take tools, food, water, blankets and fist aid kit. You never know trust me. Also don't do anything that does not feel right. Take the time to get out and test water depth before u go through it. Just a few things many many more though. Oh most of all have fun and be safe!!!

nmwranglerx 05-31-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by medic_23387 (Post 2321544)
Take tools, food, water, blankets and fist aid kit. You never know trust me. Also don't do anything that does not feel right. Take the time to get out and test water depth before u go through it. Just a few things many many more though. Oh most of all have fun and be safe!!!

good advice especially with the supplies :thumbsup: It's a really good idea to go with another vehicle. If you are going alone, let someone know where you are headed and when you are expecting to return. Start putting together some basic recovery items as well like a snatch strap and hi-lift jack if you plan on doing a lot of offroad trips. Have fun and be prepared to want to go all the time afterwards lol.

blawson 06-01-2011 01:46 PM

I agree on the supplies. You need to think self reliance especially if you go it alone. Take it slow and always look at obstacles from all angles. Do you have a air pump as well? Airing down will give you better traction and a softer ride.

But most important, have fun and never do anything that looks too hard alone.

Huck271 06-01-2011 02:24 PM

Recommend recovery equipment, ability to air down and up. This is crucial for traction and passengers. Riding is different from driving. Going by your self Jeep wise is one thing but bring a passenger you never know when you will need a second set of hands, eyes, etc.. can't drive and spot trust me.

Carlooch 06-01-2011 02:42 PM

Lots of great tips here.

There will be 3 of us in the jeep. We will defiantly has some supplies.

Going to be in northern Quebec visiting y friends mom. They live on a lake and tree is plenty of off roading spots. They have 2atvs an a pick up. So they will know were we are to pull us out if needed I'll be b ringing an air pump. What should I air down to? I heard that helps. Just not sure what to do

I don't think we are gonna be hitting any thing to crazy. Just going for some fun

Thanks. I'll take any tips!

blawson 06-01-2011 04:33 PM

I usually go to 10 psi.

Carlooch 06-01-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by blawson
I usually go to 10 psi.

On stock tires?

blawson 06-01-2011 04:52 PM

Yeah. I have a stock rubi I run at 10 psi when im out.

matt852 06-01-2011 04:54 PM

Guns, Another vehicle, a GPS and a phone to add, also don't blast through puddles of water, or water in general. Extend your breather tubes if you plan on going into anything deeper than your tires sidewall.