Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

first time going off road.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time going off road.

This is my first time going off road. I am going to cliffs in Marsalis Il. I plan on staying on trails and maybe a little mud. What do I need to do before I go? Do I air down? Disconnect sway bar links? What should I be aware of? Any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by junior75
This is my first time going off road. I am going to cliffs in Marsalis Il. I plan on staying on trails and maybe a little mud. What do I need to do before I go? Do I air down? Disconnect sway bar links? What should I be aware of? Any input would be great. Thanks.
While airing down and disconnecting the sway bars will ultimately give you more traction and better axle articulation, it'll also make the ride a heck of a lot smoother and more enjoyable. Something that I always try to be aware of is tire placement, it sounds elementary but an unseen tree root or stub could really ruin your day. And of course always try to put a tire on an object such as a rock or go completely around it instead of trying to get it to fit underneath the axles and differentials. Oh and since you mentioned mud, be sure you have another vehicle or a way to get unstuck if something were to happen and I always try to keep it slow and steady in mud, especially if you don't know how deep the puddle is. Rapidly accelerating or decelerating is typically when you get stuck. One last piece of advice, 4 low is your best friend off road, many jeeps have the tendency to overheat the transmission oil when you're going slow in 4 high for extended periods of time. The only time I use 4 high is during the winter on road in bad conditions. You'll learn a lot your first time so don't be afraid to get stuck or take a bypass on an obstacle.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Well said. Thank you
Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

No problem! Have fun!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

carefull around the cliffs if there are any at this cliffs place, you dont wanna be the guy on youtube seen bailing out as his vehicle goes off a cliff, or even worse, the guy seen exploding in the fireball at the bottom of a cliff drop..... have fun!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not going alone, right?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

I guess he went alone........
Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by W. KY JKURX
I guess he went alone........
Heh...
Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

:facepalm:
Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice from the previous replies, but you forgot to tell him, when going alone to ALWAYS tell people when you are going, where you are going, when you are returning and let them know when you do return.

Quick Reply: first time going off road.