Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First wheeling tips

Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First wheeling tips

I will be taking my JK X out for the first time on Labor Day weekend. We are heading to Gulches OHV park in Laurin SC. I want to try it stock before I start making mods. My daughter and wife are taking her S-10 Blazer which I have modified with a V8, chopped top with full cage and winch in case I get stuck. I am going to stick to easy to medium difficult trails. I don't want to tear it up and want to know what I should watch out for. I am sure some of you have wheeled yours stock and could give me a few pointers. This is the first time I have wheeled a vehical that I am making payments on and am a little nervous. I have been wheeling for about thirty years and it's always been beaters. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

I hope to make it to the East coast JK meet in October.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

I run My 08 Rubi Stock (for now) as well. And Have a blast. You should be fine as long as you don't try anything that looks to extreme. You can still have loads of fun.
Enjoy.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your time, take it easy, do NOT go alone, have fun without killing your Jeep.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I wanted to know if there were anything vulnerable that I should watchout for. I know it will be a blast to hit a few trails.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

We used to go out stock in our Rubicon and the only problems that I had was the clearance. There is a 4 wheel park that we went to and the problems were always going over the whoops, we would usually bottom out on the steeper angled ones. Also, watch your front bumper if you are planning on checking the articulation, it's lower than you think.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Runt90
Thanks. I wanted to know if there were anything vulnerable that I should watchout for. I know it will be a blast to hit a few trails.

the evap canister hangs pretty low, and if you knock it off it sends a code to the computer that virtually shuts you down.

http://www.jeepswag.com/#Jeep_JK_Eva...Relocation_Kit

and the cheap plastic air dam in the front is totally useless off road, 90% chance if you don't take it off before wheeling it will be ripped off anyway.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runt90
i always worry bout hitting my diffs out here in az, especially when hunting in the woods alone. diff cover are first on my list.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

take it slow n put it in low
Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joes-jk
i always worry bout hitting my diffs out here in az, especially when hunting in the woods alone. diff cover are first on my list.
You and me, I've scraped mine a few times. To where both my stock covers just slightly have seeped...makes me nervous. Riddler covers are on order next week!

I'm not sure why the evap canister is such a target for most. I haven't had anything come close to mine. I've wheeled some good rock gardens as well. It's tucked up pretty decently. Not a scrape on mine so far. I do want to skid it, just from what people have posted. But haven't had any issues out here with it. Definitely not the lowest thing under there, just weak.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You and me, I've scraped mine a few times. To where both my stock covers just slightly have seeped...makes me nervous. Riddler covers are on order next week!

I'm not sure why the evap canister is such a target for most. I haven't had anything come close to mine. I've wheeled some good rock gardens as well. It's tucked up pretty decently. Not a scrape on mine so far. I do want to skid it, just from what people have posted. But haven't had any issues out here with it. Definitely not the lowest thing under there, just weak.
yea i want the riddlers too. half the fun is trying to find a good color combo for the skulls.

Quick Reply: First wheeling tips