Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First wheeling tips

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things I learned the first time we took 'er out.

-gotta be moving very slow to get into 4-lo. Generally I find a small hill, stop, put it in neutral, slowly let off the break and gently pull on the TC lever until it just slips in.

-If you're climbing any hill use 4-lo. I used 4-hi and climbed up the hilly trail and I got the dreaded "hot oil" alarm. 4-lo is a great thing.

-Watch the water, my first time out we hit a 2' deep water hole and shorted out the radiator fan. Take it easy in the water.

-A stock JK is very capable, get 'er dirty and enjoy!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Air down the stock tires to around 18-20 and unbolt the front swaybar. Makes a huge difference being aired down and disconnected.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I am use to wheelin' with carbs and cast iron t-cases, this is new to me. I'll be gentle on him and bust on the Blazer ( it's got a rev 44 front, 60 rear both locked and 35's waiting for it in the shop ) because it's traveling on the trailer. Anyone thought of using a d44 front cover on the rear? They are alot thicker than rear covers.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runt90
I will be taking my JK X out for the first time on Labor Day weekend. We are heading to Gulches OHV park in Laurin SC. I want to try it stock before I start making mods. My daughter and wife are taking her S-10 Blazer which I have modified with a V8, chopped top with full cage and winch in case I get stuck. I am going to stick to easy to medium difficult trails. I don't want to tear it up and want to know what I should watch out for. I am sure some of you have wheeled yours stock and could give me a few pointers. This is the first time I have wheeled a vehical that I am making payments on and am a little nervous. I have been wheeling for about thirty years and it's always been beaters. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

I hope to make it to the East coast JK meet in October.
I ran that trail with my Stock X it has the S package and it was awesome!!! It can do a lot more tha I thought stock. I did all the easy, intermediate trails and a few of the hard ones...I didnt try some things because me and my friend went together and we were the only vehicle in the park which was nice but if I got hung up or stuck it would have sucked because you gota pay the guy to come pull you out so I was more cautious than if there would have been others there to help me out for free. But its an awesome park and I want to go back asap!

I didnt air down at all and the sway bar was connected. Skip (the guy that runs it) told me to keep it in 4Lo the entire time.

Last edited by SCJK08; 08-26-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

The Gulches is alot of fun. We should get together and wheel sometime. Have you been to Rices Creek in Libery yet? I heard alot about it .
Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by woffles
Air down the stock tires to around 18-20 and unbolt the front swaybar. Makes a huge difference being aired down and disconnected.
x2 Your jeep is very capable. I wheeled the hell out of my stock rubi with very little problems, just watch out for that evap canister and bring a good tow strap. have fun
Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Default in did it my x

I went in july of this year in my stock x and did some crazy trails with those crappy wrangler tires. you should be fine they have trail guides that show what you can do and cant.

Quick Reply: First wheeling tips