Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Fording in a JK

Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The video below is related to this topic. It was a stock height JK with 31" claws. The water was quite deep, at least 2 feet. At the time I did not have extended breathers or a snorkel but extended breathers are coming. I didn't get any water in the diffs though

click here to goto the video on youtube
WOW - I thought you were done for at 2:49 of the video, but it kept going! Amazing.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The video below is related to this topic. It was a stock height JK with 31" claws. The water was quite deep, at least 2 feet. At the time I did not have extended breathers or a snorkel but extended breathers are coming. I didn't get any water in the diffs though

click here to goto the video on youtube
That is one long ass water logged road.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

I know you folk in the USA don't get the diesel, So for the most part I give you a pass.... but down under, if you do ANY wheeling, you need one. to get to any of the decent trails, it usually involves decent creek crossings. And if you've never Hydro'd a Diesel, or seen the damage to one, I dare say giving people advice that they are a waste of money is completely fallacy. Also, being a diesel with no spark plugs etc, there is no plug leads, coils, distributors etc. The computers etc areup high in the engine bay. I've seen no damage to computer, so another fallacy.

Through 6" of water in my old petrol JK, Going slowly... I had to let the air filter dry for a day, and mop up all the water from the intake.

In my new CRD JK, I installed an airflow brand(aussie) snorkel, and used screws instead of the dodgy rivets, and made sure it was 100% completely sealed with SIKAFLEX Black Urethane mastic. I've since driven through water upto the fenders, and the airbox was 100% dry.

that said, everyone is spot on in regards to the diff breathers, auto trans and T/case breathers. I've got a great little billet aluminium job that has filtered breathers that you mount at the top of your engine bay. So far, I havent had a single issue with crossing any water up to about 2-3 ft deep.

Hope that helps!! Getting one as just a 'cool' accessory doesn't really count though, as I think they are for the most part ugly ass things, but provide a huge insurance.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:39 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forded down my street on this lovely evening. Curious to check the filter for water.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Freak
There is so much false information in this thread.
X2
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ECHO
Here's some fording... lol
Hey Echo...you have been having too much fun lately with that great looking JK of yours. I think we should switch places for a week or two so I can have some fun.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey your ram air is facing the wrong way...

Just teasing you Craig...great shots.

Originally Posted by ECHO
Here's some fording... lol

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Just a little water and mud for the redneck in me. That is 4 hours after putting my lift on. I have also taken the jeep through lake havasu with the doors off and watch my phone float away. No snorkel yet but the moment I have the cash there will be one installed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110419_222911.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	151931  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abacabb

I would like to see real world numbers for that as well. I'm sure it's very minimal and like everything else there's pros and cons to doing mods.
Look it up on YouTube, I did and they had a dyno, it was huge! Like 14 horsepower loss to the rear wheels over the stock air box, couldn't beleave it but dyno's don't lie, I have a custom cold air intake on my jeep and I love it, huge bottom end power increase and it revs alot faster in the dirt just my 2 cents, I also have a k&n dry charger sock on my filter and tested it with a glass of water at an idle and the filter was bone dry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2751484520.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	151936  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jeep_creep

Look it up on YouTube, I did and they had a dyno, it was huge! Like 14 horsepower loss to the rear wheels over the stock air box, couldn't beleave it but dyno's don't lie, I have a custom cold air intake on my jeep and I love it, huge bottom end power increase and it revs alot faster in the dirt just my 2 cents, I also have a k&n dry charger sock on my filter and tested it with a glass of water at an idle and the filter was bone dry
Are you talking about the Ripp supercharger versus supercharger with snorkel test or is it some other video? Also, I'd be curious to see a dyno of the "huge" bottom end gains you are getting from your intake. I've never owned one, but I've yet to see any real proof that intakes on the 3.8 do much more than just make noise. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'd just love to see some legitimate test results.

Quick Reply: Fording in a JK