Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up

Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up

This is my 2010 Jeep that 4 Wheel Parts put together for me in July/August 2010. The suspension is Rock Krawler 5.5 X-Factor, Dynatrac Pro Rock 60’s, Custom Drive Shafts and ARB lockers. The Track Bar bracket on the axle is a conglomeration of Dynatrac/Rock Krawler and 4 Wheel Parts stuff…

Whenever I have it in 4 Wheel drive on pavement, the whole front end comes up, or to my understanding, is “Jacking” (If it’s not called “Jacking” please let me know, so I don’t continue to sound like an idiot). The ARB lockers are not engaged. It doesn’t do it when it’s in 2 wheel drive. And in 4 Wheel it doesn’t do it on the snow or the dirt (Because the tires are allowed to slip), only on pavement.

Normally when you turn, your outside wheel spins faster than you’re inside wheel, allowing you to make a proper turn. It seems like that when my Jeep is in 4 Wheel, this is not happening.

I was told that my Toe is set to 0 degrees, but it doesn’t really look like it. It looks like my tires are pointing out a bit. No camber, but again, it looks like my tires have positive camber when looking at them straight on. Also I am told that my caster is set to 5.9 degrees. I’m also aware that my (Rock Krawler) track bar is not in line with my (Rock Krawler) drag link. Hence the reason you see the axle drift towards the driver side when it’s flexed out. (May this is the problem?)

With the amount of $$.$$$ I’ve put into this thing, I’m done with 4 Wheel parts. I’m tired of their BS. I need help, a competent technician, or a shop that says “We’ve worked on this type of equipment before and we’ve seen this problem, we can fix it!” to repair it so it’s DONE and WORKING.

Any suggestions???

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by bhardy; 01-22-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You should not be turning in 4wd on pavement. What you are seeing is the result of the tires not being able to rotate, so the frame is trying to climb over the axle.

Measure the toe to see if the tires are indeed pointing outward.

Positive camber means the top of the tires are leaning outward.
Is that what you are seeing?

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Not too sure how much this has to do with it, but isn't it bad to engage 4WD on dry pavement? Doing so could cause binding in your driveline. Maybe that's why it doesn't do it in snow or gravel surfaces.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the agree with the guys, just dont drive in 4wd on dry pavement.

But it make me wonder if any one with a modded jeep like your, does the same thing?

Last edited by untold; 01-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Positive camber means the top of the tires are leaning outward. Is that what you are seeing?
Yes, the top of the tires are leaning outward. (Positive Camber)

You should not be turning in 4wd on pavement. What you are seeing is the result of the tires not being able to rotate, so the frame is trying to climb over the axle.
Is this a typical trait of this type of axle? Is it normal? Because with the stock Dana 30 that was in there, i don't recall it doing it.

I'll have to measure it tomorrow, I'm only going off what i see and was told.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bhardy

Is this a typical trait of this type of axle? Is it normal? Because with the stock Dana 30 that was in there, i don't recall it doing it.

The taller tires have more mechanical advantage over the axle/suspension.
This is not a sign anything is wrong (except for the fact you shouldn't be doing this on pavement) . It's just what happens when you deviate from the stock setup. It probably did it before, it was just not so noticeable.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Pull out your owners manual and read the 4wheel drive section. It tells you NOT to use 4wd on dry pavement. Why, because it binds and can damage components...
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newb here, but I agree with what has been said above. Probably just the rear driving (pushing) the jeep over the front axle as you initiate a turn.

But here is a second thought, and a longshot... is it possible that you have mismatched gears in your front and rear diffs? I think this would make it happen when driving straight though, not just turns.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ahhhh nooooo, dont put it in 4wd on pavent. You are gonna destroy it!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Positive camber means the top of the tires are leaning outward.
Is that what you are seeing?
That is absolutely correct. You do not have a part time 4WD for the pavement! You are lucky something is not breaking on you!

If you can post an image of your front track bar connection at the axle and frame as well as the drag link at the pitman arm and axle, we will be more than happy to help you out with any bump steer you may or may not have given the combination of parts you are running!

Please do not run your JK in 4WD on the pavement!

RK

Quick Reply: The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up