Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up

Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it only does it when I'm turning on dry pavement. It drives fine in a straight line while in 4WD.

I only recently noticed it. During the summer I didn't put it in 4WD until I got to the trail, and it did fine. But since winter showed up, I would put it in 4WD to get into the mountains. When I came back from the mountains, I was in a parking lot, and first noticed it.

So here's another noob question. Can I leave the hubs locked in, and go from 4WD to 2WD while in a parking lot to say: Pull into a parking space, or make a u turn... Then when I'm done and heading back out to the snowy roads, put it back in 4WD?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bhardy
No it only does it when I'm turning on dry pavement. It drives fine in a straight line while in 4WD.

I only recently noticed it. During the summer I didn't put it in 4WD until I got to the trail, and it did fine. But since winter showed up, I would put it in 4WD to get into the mountains. When I came back from the mountains, I was in a parking lot, and first noticed it.

So here's another noob question. Can I leave the hubs locked in, and go from 4WD to 2WD while in a parking lot to say: Pull into a parking space, or make a u turn... Then when I'm done and heading back out to the snowy roads, put it back in 4WD?
Yes, you can leave the hubs locked in. Once it's in 2wd, it doesn't matter if you lock or unlock the hubs.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhardy
I suppose next time I won't ask.

As for 4 Wheel Parts, there's a list of crap that they broke on this thing while putting it together, such as only tac welding the upper front control link. They backed it out of the bay, and SNAP, there went the coil overs. Incorrectly adjusting the camber/caster, blowing out the Dynatrac Ball joints. I had to go to another shop just to get the geometry fixed. The front axle was so off it was hitting the oil pan... And there's more.

So next time i need help, I won't be coming here. Thanks to all that did offer help.
How does the front axle hit the oil pan? I have never seen that one? I didn't know a 4wd would do that on pavement. Will a truck do this too? I have had 3 or 4 people in pickups say they run the 4wd down the highway sometimes. I never run mine unless I am offroad.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, you can leave the hubs locked in. Once it's in 2wd, it doesn't matter if you lock or unlock the hubs.
Correct me if i am wrong but a stock jeep hub is locked? The advantage to a locking hub is when driving in 2wd(unlocked) the wheel is not connected to the differental? in order to use 4wd with a "locking hub" you have to lock it?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the locker itself is disconnected.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
As long as the locker itself is disconnected.
Yup. No mention of locker, though.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

The main advantage to hub lockouts on an axle is just the fact that when the hubs are unlocked, it prevents the driveline from turning so you have less wear and tear and resistance driving down the road.

I miss the locking hubs on Jeeps, they were great and an easy fail safe to repair. Now instead of blowing a hub, you have to destroy an axle shaft or worse.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

The axle strength doesn't do anything to help the t-case.

If you were in a dry, paved parking lot, and were in 4wd, and wanted to turn into a parking space, would you take it out of 4wd to make the turn?
Yeah, i get it. Does anyone know of a case where someone tore their shit up driving in 4wd on dry pavement?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
Yeah, i get it. Does anyone know of a case where someone tore their shit up driving in 4wd on dry pavement?
YES... is a Grand Cherokee http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bingote
Oh hell, i want an atlas anyway.

Quick Reply: The front of my Jeep is “Jacking” itself up