Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Going off roading for the first time. Advice?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Going off roading for the first time. Advice?

I'm going offroading for the first time. I'll be in Hollister, CA. Never done this before at all. Any advice? I hear that trails are rated like ski slopes. I'm not at all hard core fyi and I don't intend to be one. Just taking the kids for some offroading fun in our 2008 Unlimited X 4x4.

Here's where I'll be going:
http://www.hhora.org/main.html
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. go slow. it's called 'crawling' for a reason. the long skinny pedal can get you into trouble and helps break things.
2. trust your pucker factor. if you are on an obstacle or leaning and feel uneasy, getting that 'pucker' feeling in your seat, back off.
2a. if you don't have a pucker factor, wear your seatbelt and keep arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times
3. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(oh yes, and to repeat what's already said: don't go alone)
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x3 don't go alone
Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, DON'T GO ALONE! Just imagine worst case scenario, tipping Jeep over, you're pinned inside and NOBODY is around, now what?

One of my biggest tips is when going through mud or some other terrain you could get stuck in. When driving through it, don't let off the gas! I know it's tempting but I've gotten stuck many times stopping in a giant mud puddle and then not being able to get out.

Go slow, the faster you drive the rougher the ride is and the harder it is on a Jeep. If you come up to something you can't see over or around, get out and look. Better to be prepared than to drive up to a cliff!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
I'm going offroading for the first time. I'll be in Hollister, CA. Never done this before at all. Any advice? I hear that trails are rated like ski slopes. I'm not at all hard core fyi and I don't intend to be one. Just taking the kids for some offroading fun in our 2008 Unlimited X 4x4.

Here's where I'll be going:
http://www.hhora.org/main.html
Don't go alone is good advice. But Hollister Hills is an OHV park...There are always tons of people there. Esprit DeFour is a club that holds clinic there and usually one of their members are always there. If you do go alone, look for some one with a California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs sticker (round and YELLOW), they are great folks and would love for you to hook up with them. I know, sounds like a sales pitch, but I was on the Board of Directors back in the 90's and Membership chairman, so I can't help myself....

And....have fun!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x6 on do not go alone. maybe a strap, some drinks and snacks for the kids, off roading shoes are a good idea, have fun and be safe and you will ammazed at what your jeep will do.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunny
Very good point about the shoes, they should be sturdy over the ankle shoes with enough flex that you can operate the peddles.
I like going barefoot but I always have shoes in the back
Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunny
I cant walk around the dessert bare footed and dont have time to put on shoes if something goes wrong.
well by shoes I mean flip flops so doesnt take long
Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Don't go alone.

Don't let off of gas when going through deep mud or sand, and go as slow as possible to avoid breaking things.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shoot. Perhaps I shouldn't go then as I don't have a buddy. Hmmm...they do have beginner trails apparently. Maybe I'll go there to check it out and do some camping and if the beginner trails seem easy enough, I'll try it. A poster here said it's a popular place so I think that I'd be okay if took it easy and stayed on the bunny trails, right? Good tips. Thx.

Quick Reply: Going off roading for the first time. Advice?