Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Going off roading for the first time. Advice?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on original topic, I would say don't go alone but I do go solo once in a while. Best bet in that case is to give someone (preferably with a 4WD) you know a set return time and give a cellphone call. No answer means "come and pull me out".

Cheers.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking Mac's Master Tips

Im still an Off Road Newb, but here are my favorite tips. This is more of an ammendment to what has already been said, plus some tips that I live by.

#1 - Dont go out alone. Have two rigs, at the very, very least, an able bodied passenger. You want someone to keep you stable, and to share the stories with.

#2 - Know your limitations. Spot yourself, and remember to keep the rig as level as possible. This is paramount for me. I look for the most level line. I know flexn' looks and feels cool, and it is, but unneccesary flex can tip you like nobodies buisness.

#3 - Have a couple of snach/tow straps rated at close to or over 6000 pounds if no one in the crew has a wench. Getting high centered can really suck if you have to push the rig off a rock.

#4 - This one is just a preference of mine. Rant coming.....

I hate mud. It gets everywhere, clogs the radiator, overheats the car, clogs the diffs, and if you drive a stick, can clog the clutch. 90% of the problems that I have seen on my buddies Jeeps have been cused by Mud and poor choices. I almost ruined a 91 XJ in a mud bog that sunk up to the air dam.

So if you must mud, and many do....be prepared for hell. Get the 2X4's, have a buddy that can pull you out. If you dont have a front or rear tow hook, get one, now! There almost free on this site.

That was a long one.....

#5 - have water, water, everywhere. I carry a case in the liftgate.

#6 - Camera. And a friend that will snap away so you can relive your glory anytime. We like stories here at the JK forum, but we like PIcs much better.

#7 - Handheld GPS. Waymark your entrance/exit. This has saved my ass before.

#8 - Remember the pucker factor - "There's a difference between being daring and being a Dumbass." - But then again, "Your only a dumbass if something breaks."

#9 - Always, always, always spot the trail first. I almost fell off a cliff once.

#10 - Tread lightly, take up Geocaching, and have fun out there. Your going to see and smell things that will bring you closer to God.

Remember.....If Jesus has a trail rig, its a Jeep.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys

Im in the same boat as all the new guys here. Thanks for all the advice. I'll deff keep all those in handy for when I go out in a couple weeks.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. if you're having trouble moving, go 4hi, if problems still presist go 4lo
  2. NEVER go alone, atleast have another 4x4 with you incase you get stuck
  3. in sandy areas like deserts, it comes in handy to have a lower air pressure in the tires. this gives your tire wider treads and improves movement on the soft sands
  4. have an ample supply of drinking water with you, if you get stuck for a long time, you will get dehydrated.
  5. if you're in sandy areas, don't slow down, you'll get stuck in no time. momentum is key when you're in the sand.
  6. it's handy to have a shovel with you
  7. don't go for bigger rims, go for bigger tires
  8. have fun

Quick Reply: Going off roading for the first time. Advice?