Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Good Trail Bike and Bike Rack

Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Trail Bike and Bike Rack

Well the title basically says it... I'm was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good trail bike that can also be used on the road, and a good bike rack for the JK.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Really depends on price range...

REI has the Cannondale F7 and that would make a great on and offroad bike but you are talking 599.00 for that. I have last years model and i am incredibly happy with it as a commuter and mountain bike..

as for the rack that is a no-brainer...THULE Spare me rack. its 179.00 at REI but it is the best spare rack out there
Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check REI outlet there is actually a good looking mountain bike on there right now...
Diamondback Response and its at 319.00 and still has ok components on it
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Woody
Really depends on price range...

REI has the Cannondale F7 and that would make a great on and offroad bike but you are talking 599.00 for that. I have last years model and i am incredibly happy with it as a commuter and mountain bike..

as for the rack that is a no-brainer...THULE Spare me rack. its 179.00 at REI but it is the best spare rack out there
Oh alright thanks for the help... Is REI one of the best companies to get bikes from? Are their any other companies I should look at?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

yep, that's a great bike for the $$$. i ended up going with a giant yukon, and my rack is a hollywood sport rider. i just got it on sale so a better price than the thule. i haven't had any problems with the rack, and i love my bike. canondale and giant are excellent brands.

Last edited by natburris; 07-29-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

and check your local dealers besides rei. rei does have nice pricing, but if you can support your local bike shop, that is good too
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would price shop a little .. i was looking a an F7 this weekend at at a local place that had them for 499
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright. Well thanks for all the advice guys. I think I would be counted as a super begginner because I've never been riding on trials and stuff before. So do these bike companies sell bikes for someone who's just starting out?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the mopar spare tire mounted bike rack since my TJ and a Jeep Liberty mountain bike.

My brother is riding a rock crusher and "needed" that rack so I have a new rack that hangs off the spare, but I took my bike from florida to MD without worry.

The Jeep bike is a little heavy, especially compared to my bro's new bike but I am 280 so I can handle the weight. Disk brakes, front adjustable shocks, etc. etc.

Best of all the 1st rack and bike were free, since my mom got them when she bought her KJ back in 03

My new rack is a Saris(i think) grabber which hangs on the tire, but with a metal loop vs. straps. It is easy to put on and off and you don't need to remove the spare. It folds up so when it is in the house it isn't taking up a lot of space. Best of all 99.99 at a bike store...

Mopar rack is 240.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by natburris
and check your local dealers besides rei. rei does have nice pricing, but if you can support your local bike shop, that is good too
by all means please find the bikeshop in your area and support them before buying from Huge outlets like REI...I used that merely as an example. I find that i can justify paying a little more at the local shop rather than pay shipping and not have somewhere to service it.

Quick Reply: Good Trail Bike and Bike Rack