Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

how dangerous is pulling someone out?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i also agree

don't try to be a towing service--somehow it will end badly for you. lend a cell phone, give them a ride to a tow shop, or give a beer. if you break something or god forbid hurt someone accidentally you'll be left holding the bag.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally only pull out friends and/or hot females.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P

was that a flirtatious dating post?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler
was that a flirtatious dating post?
No it was a semi truthful joke.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
I have to agree, I would be much more inclined to take the risk to help out some attractive females

Well that is kind of a bummer, would have been fun but i better play it safe
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horrocks007
If they don't have obvious tow hooks, they shouldn't be driving in the beach. I wouldn't pull anyone who doesn't have a tow hook.

If at all possible always tow people in drive, reverse gears aren't built as strong.
It's not that "reverse gears aren't built as strong", it's the design of your ring and pinion that makes pulling someone out in reverse a very bad idea. It's too much to explain here, but your ring and pinion in your diffs are designed to withstand pretty substantial force moving forward, but in reverse the design actually works against itself and is exponentially more likely to fail under a heavy load. I'm probably a little over protective of my diffs, to the point if I am backing up a trailer, I do it in 4lo and very slowly. Long story short, don't try to pull out anything bigger than your Jeep, and even then, nothing buried very deep. Good luck, and have fun.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

I go out to Pismo all the time and end up pulling people out every time I'm out there. Remember the Golden Rule. When you get stuck out there you want someone to come help you too. I have had no issues pulling people out of the sand there. I would not recommend using a tow strap to yank people out, there are a lot of people that do that. I go against the grain with pulling people out in reverse too, I do that all the time and have never had a problem even when I'm pulling them out in the wet sand and they're towing a trailer I've never had any problems. Be a pal and don't just drive by someone that's stuck, tow trucks are $300 bucks for them to just show up at Pismo and those guys don't seem to know what they're doing. Most of the time they just need a steady pull to get them out, if you can't get them out don't worry, as soon as you start working on getting them out you'll draw a crowd and someone will be happy to step in with a bigger truck.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKTester
I go out to Pismo all the time and end up pulling people out every time I'm out there. Remember the Golden Rule. When you get stuck out there you want someone to come help you too. I have had no issues pulling people out of the sand there. I would not recommend using a tow strap to yank people out, there are a lot of people that do that. I go against the grain with pulling people out in reverse too, I do that all the time and have never had a problem even when I'm pulling them out in the wet sand and they're towing a trailer I've never had any problems. Be a pal and don't just drive by someone that's stuck, tow trucks are $300 bucks for them to just show up at Pismo and those guys don't seem to know what they're doing. Most of the time they just need a steady pull to get them out, if you can't get them out don't worry, as soon as you start working on getting them out you'll draw a crowd and someone will be happy to step in with a bigger truck.
What do you use to pull people? Chains? I was planning on using my ARB snatch strap... I saw a couple trucks with trailers stuck, and i was tempted to give them some help but people recommended not doing that due to law suits and what not...
Old 10-13-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

I have found when off roading most people are pretty good people, with that said befor i hook up to anyone i talk with them for a few min. If they seem to be a pretty good person and dont act like a dumb a$$ i consider helping them out, but more than that i try and check to see if they know their rig. If they dont know their own rig then i either let someone else hook up to them or tell them i dont think my little jeep will not be much help at this time (just play the Jeep down, I know it is hard, because we know they are awesome).
The number one rule of offroading is know your equipment and its capabilities
if you are not comfterable with pulling them out then dont
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Check their connection

I was trying to pull a guy out of a dry (mostly) lake bed and didn't check his connection to his Jeep. He talked like he knew what he was doing. After a couple pulls the tow strap and shackle broke free. Luckily I had the high ground and the shackle hit the hill and didn't fly into the back of my Jeep. He had connected the shackle to the trailer safety chain connection on his trailer hitch, which failed.

I lucked out. Check everything connected you your rig!

Quick Reply: how dangerous is pulling someone out?