Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

how dangerous is pulling someone out?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how dangerous is pulling someone out?

I am heading to the dunes with my friends and plan on giving people who are stuck a tug out. I plan to hook to my hitch pin. Am i likely to break something on my jeep using a snatch strap or is it relatively safe? My mods are in my signature and i still have stock drive shafts.

Also where can I hook the strap to on vehicles that dont have obvious tow hooks?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If they don't have obvious tow hooks, they shouldn't be driving in the beach. I wouldn't pull anyone who doesn't have a tow hook.

If at all possible always tow people in drive, reverse gears aren't built as strong.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2. If they don't have a tow hook or recovery point attached to the frame of the vehicle, don't try it. You're likely to break something on their vehicle, and send parts and your strap flying into your rig.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HogHoden
...and send parts and your strap flying into your rig.

Not to mention lawsuits and insurance claims....
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

ditto all around. I've heard stories of people getting seriously hurt towing/pulling people. YouTube will be your friend here. plenty of examples of what not to do
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring a six pack and give them a beer. I wouldnt pull anyone out I didnt know. You dont want to break something and be responsible. Just go and have a good time. If they are stuck they should have been better prepared.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched one of the "Professional" tow people there pull the whole front end (Grill and windshield back to the mirrors) off of a motor home there. Anyways if they dont have proper attachment points your taking a big risk.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hand them the strap and tell them your not responsible for their damage. If it breaks, you could recieve damage yourself. Some people throw a heavy chain over the cable half way between the two vehicles. This helps dampen the recoil of the cable if it should break away.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Everyone has done a good job of explaining why it would be bad to tow someone that does not have recovery points. I would follow those suggestions.

For your other question, as long as your recovery point is connected to your frame, then you shouldn't have to worry about damage to your Jeep. There is always the possibility that constant pulling on your frame and potential bumping (back and forth) could cause a bent frame but I doubt that will happen. Maybe someone else can add something about that. And wear and tear on the engine from pulling...well, not the best thing in the world but probably not going to do any real damage unless you are being stupid about it.

Normally if you are going to be in an area where there is an obstacle that most people will get stuck on, the best option is to position someone with a winch to help them out. Using a winch is more controlled and safer than using a recovery strap (well...genearlly speaking of course!).
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

so maybe it is not a good idea to pull anyone out even if they have a hook due to potential law suits?

Quick Reply: how dangerous is pulling someone out?