Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How do you properly use a tree strap?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you properly use a tree strap?

I can't seem to find an answer or tutorial on how to use a tree strap with a snatch block. I know I'll figure it out when the time comes, but I like to be well educated before I get to use the new gear.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

It depends if your using it as a change of direction or using it to make a 2:1 ratio to double the power of your winch. Either way strapping the tree just wrap it around connect the ends with a shackle and connect the shackle to the snatch block.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AaronOB
It depends if your using it as a change of direction or using it to make a 2:1 ratio to double the power of your winch. Either way strapping the tree just wrap it around connect the ends with a shackle and connect the shackle to the snatch block.
Thanks,
any suggestions on thickness of trees to use?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

stap it low on the trunk of the tree and be sure its at least 2-3ft wide and you should be good.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here you go bud, learn three things with one video...how to use tree straps, how to use snatch blocks, and how to reverse winch.
Reverse winch - YouTube
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AaronOB
stap it low on the trunk of the tree and be sure its at least 2-3ft wide and you should be good.
If you HAVE a tree that's 2' wide within easy access, sure, use it. a 2' wide tree at the base will probably hold upwards of 60K pounds. The main thing is the tree is HEALTHY. If it's a dead rotted out tree, no matter the thickness, stay away from it. For common winching, a 1' diameter live tree at the base will support a 6000lb JKU with ease.

To give you some perspective.....my friends brother (young dumb kid) took his F150 for a joy ride a few years back. He was speeding, lost control, and smashed a "tree" (a town tree that was planted for decoration) that was probably about 3-5" in diameter. The F150 was totaled. We went back the next day to check out the damage, and the tree was still standing, with some missing bark. Healthy wood is INCREDIBLY strong, especially near the base.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC
Here you go bud, learn three things with one video...how to use tree straps, how to use snatch blocks, and how to reverse winch.
Reverse winch - YouTube
Thanks this is just what I was looking for but couldn't find! Looks like a few more snatch blocks are on my wish list!

Quick Reply: How do you properly use a tree strap?