Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How far will a stock rubi get you

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far will a stock rubi get you

was reading about some of the 4x4 trails in ca and saw the rating system they are using 1 being easiest and 10 being hardest, im looking at planning my first real 4x4 focused trip and am not really sure what to choose. i dont want to end up on something to easy like a dirt road but nor do i want to find myself at the base of a boulder needing to turn around. i have a 2dr rubi with a winch but otherwise stock, and have done some offroading in the past but nothing majore in the US before.
what do you guys think would be a good trail level to head out on?
thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bald Mt. above Fresno in the Sierra Nevada's is a great starter trail with some killer look outs and spots for camping. I would rate it a 4 on a scale of 10. There are no facilities like restrooms or showers but who needs those when you have the great outdoors. There is another trail next to Bald Mt. called Brewer Lake which has more slow paced rock crawling. That trial has a small lake and restroom at the end of the trail. Both trails I have done in my 2 dr stock X. I would rate Brewer a 5 just because of the difficult rocky terrain. You will get minor rock rash in a stock JK but nothing too bad.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by jtjk
was reading about some of the 4x4 trails in ca and saw the rating system they are using 1 being easiest and 10 being hardest, im looking at planning my first real 4x4 focused trip and am not really sure what to choose. i dont want to end up on something to easy like a dirt road but nor do i want to find myself at the base of a boulder needing to turn around. i have a 2dr rubi with a winch but otherwise stock, and have done some offroading in the past but nothing majore in the US before.
what do you guys think would be a good trail level to head out on?
thanks
Hollister Hills in Hollister will be a great place for you to test out the ability of your vehicle within a better controlled environment.

Signal Peak, Eagle Lakes, Slick rock, Deer Valley are also would be a ideal place for a stock Rubicon.

Check under Norcal section, for the runs we will have during the summer. Most major runs are currently been planned or under go planning stages, however, there will be other runs posted up here and there in between the major runs.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my 4-door rubicon was stock, it took me places I literally couldn't believe. They're amazing machines.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Just make sure you've got an oil pan skid. Stock Rubis will take you almost anywhere, but your oil pan is vulnerable.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

It's as much about the driver as the Jeep. I've had a bone stock YJ get in on a trail farther than several highly modified rigs. With a little practice and common sense, it is amazing what a stock Rubicon can do. With an inexperienced driver, you could be hung up on the first obstacle.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

ground clearance and your approach/departure angles are you're biggest enemies. Plenty of rigs with a small lift and good/tall tires get extremely far with a 'stock' rubicon. I know i've done plenty with mine, height is the biggest limiting factor...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

With some skill, it'll take you right up until the belly hits and you're pivoting around like a see saw.

Get a small lift, and it will make a HUGE difference. They are very capable.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Slippery
With some skill, it'll take you right up until the belly hits and you're pivoting around like a see saw.

Get a small lift, and it will make a HUGE difference. They are very capable.
x2 on this. Get a 2.5 inch BB and you will notice an immediate difference in off road capability. It will get your mid section higher and you will get hung up less/highcntered.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

all the way to the store that sells lifts tires and snorkels!!!

Quick Reply: How far will a stock rubi get you