Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How should I prepare for Colorado?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I prepare for Colorado?

I'm planning a road trip to Colorado in September 2013 from Duluth, MN (approx. 2,800 Miles RT).

While visiting Colroado I'd like to trail the Jeep and visit the San Juan mountains. I'm thinking Alpine Loop, engineer pass, Ouray, Silverton etc.. MAYBE black bear pass if i can connect with some other Jeepers who can point the way for me. Offcourse i'm open to suggestions from you guys on where to go and what to bring. I'll be headed out there with my girl friend (we're both 28 btw) and looking forward to seeing all the small towns in between. I'll admit my main purpose for visitng is to take the Jeep outside so to speak and enjoy the Wrangler in it's intended for habitat.

My question is this, what should I bring to the trails and what modifications are absolutely necessary to get the full experience? (tools, lift, bigger tires, on board air, external fuel caddy, additional lighting).

Some notes about equipment: My jeep build over the next few years will center around expedition and traversing vs rock crawler. Nothing wrong with crawling I'd just rather buy a used 07 2 door for that sport. So if you can suggest some equipment for expedition-like trips that would be awesome.

My second question is what you guys would recommend for routes and trails? I'll be meeting family in Colorado Springs then venturing out to the San Juan Mountains the following morning.

About my Jeep:

I have a 2011 JKU Mojave Edition which basically has the Rubicon shocks and suspension as well as the Rubicon Moabs and BF Goodrich tire package. Everything in my Jeep is stock save for the JW Speaker headlights.

I appreciate everyones time and feedback -thanks for welcoming me to the Jeep family!

See you out there,
Dzine07

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1110604710.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	456811Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	456812Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep JK.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	456813

Last edited by dzine07; 05-11-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to mention, please post links to other threads or sites that could help. I'm sure this kind of thing has been asked in the past. much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Plenty of water. That is a beautiful route, even if you just stay on the paved roads.

If coming from CO Springs (via Denver, I-70 to Grand Junction) running south from Grand Junction.

The drive down 550 into Ouray and Silverton is awesome as well. Red Mountain Pass is very scenic, just watch your speeds and pay attention. You'll also go over Coal Bank Pass and Molas Pass. If you are going to come as far as Silverton, make a trip down to Durango and we can meet up. From Durango, you can head west on US 160 and into Mancos, make a left there on CO 184 and run that into Dolores. From Dolores, head up CO 145 over Lizard Head Pass into Telluride.

From Telluride, you can head on over to Ridgway (CO-145 to CO-62) which will run you back into Ridgway and out you back on US 550. You can then run that north through Montrose and into Grand Junction. Grand Junction will get you back I-70 and you can then run that back east to the Denver area.

You can go south from the Springs down I-25 and through Walsenburg. From Walsenburg, get on US 160 West towards Alamosa, between Alamosa and Pagosa Springs, you will go up over Wolf Creek Pass. Again, very scenic but you need to watch your speed and pay attention. Also, be aware of the weather. Wolf Creek Pass gets the highest annual amount of snowfall in all of the US. Can be very treacherous......

US-160 from there will bring you into Pagosa Springs and then through Bayfield and into Durango. From here, it's just as described above to Telluride or running US-550 north to back to Grand Junction via Silverton and Ouray.

Last edited by exoduster18; 05-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds awesome
Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by exoduster18
Plenty of water. That is a beautiful route, even if you just stay on the paved roads.

If coming from CO Springs (via Denver, I-70 to Grand Junction) running south from Grand Junction.

The drive down 550 into Ouray and Silverton is awesome as well. Red Mountain Pass is very scenic, just watch your speeds and pay attention. You'll also go over Coal Bank Pass and Molas Pass. If you are going to come as far as Silverton, make a trip down to Durango and we can meet up. From Durango, you can head west on US 160 and into Mancos, make a left there on CO 184 and run that into Dolores. From Dolores, head up CO 145 over Lizard Head Pass into Telluride.

From Telluride, you can head on over to Ridgway (CO-145 to CO-62) which will run you back into Ridgway and out you back on US 550. You can then run that north through Montrose and into Grand Junction. Grand Junction will get you back I-70 and you can then run that back east to the Denver area.

You can go south from the Springs down I-25 and through Walsenburg. From Walsenburg, get on US 160 West towards Alamosa, between Alamosa and Pagosa Springs, you will go up over Wolf Creek Pass. Again, very scenic but you need to watch your speed and pay attention. Also, be aware of the weather. Wolf Creek Pass gets the highest annual amount of snowfall in all of the US. Can be very treacherous......

US-160 from there will bring you into Pagosa Springs and then through Bayfield and into Durango. From here, it's just as described above to Telluride or running US-550 north to back to Grand Junction via Silverton and Ouray.

Awesome thanks for tips. So are some of your suggestions trails, gravel roads or highway? If we do the alpine loop where is the best place to start? Ouray?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're going to be in the area in a Fri-Sun window, I'll run Black Bear with you.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
If you're going to be in the area in a Fri-Sun window, I'll run Black Bear with you.
That'd be awesome. have you been? When i pick dates or we get closer to september i'll shoot you a PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Everything I mentioned is all paved roads as that is what I have ran. I am not familiar with the back country/trails as of yet (just moved here last November and haven't ran them yet).

I would start from Ouray first and then go south to hit the Alpine Trail and run it east. If you have the time, run that loop, then hit the southern part of it that loops you back north to US 550 that you can then run back into Ouray. That would give you the longest ride (if you've got the time).

Alpine Loop Home Page

Alpine Loop Scenic Tour Page
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dzine07
That'd be awesome. have you been? When i pick dates or we get closer to september i'll shoot you a PM.
Yes I have. It's a must do.
My wife & I like to help visitors get some good wheeling memories of the area.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Have a fun, safe trip to the San Juans.....it will be a trip you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Last edited by Ranger492; 05-13-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: 1st post too long

Quick Reply: How should I prepare for Colorado?