Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How should I prepare for Colorado?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more suggestions:

Imogene Pass. My favorite trail in the area. It gets up above 13,000' and the views are amazing. Plus, hanging out in Telluride and getting lunch is a great stop. If possible, do Black Bear into Tride, then Imogene back, but it will be a long day. Black Bear is not all that it is cracked up to be. It is not techincal at all, and the narrow part and the switchbacks aren't bad. The local guides take full size pickup trucks with tourists riding in the bed down it all the time. Although, I wouldn't do it in the rain...that could be sketchy. Both trails have amazing views. If you don't do Black Bear, but go to Tride, make sure to drive up to Bridal Veil Falls. Also, if you don't do Black Bear I would do Imogene to Tride, eat lunch, walk around town,see Bridal Veil Falls, the drive down the road to Ophir, take Ophir Pass back to 550, then drive 550 back to Ouray.

As Ranger suggested, do corkscrew pass, although I like to do it coming from Silverton, so I'm going down the switchbacks rather than up them. It will kind of give you a taste of what Black Bear is like. I'd recommend to drive to Silverton to Animas Forks. Go up California Gulch to do California Pass to Hurricane to Corkscrew.

Placer and Picayune gulches are worth checking out as well. Also Clear Lake by Silverton is pretty cool to Jeep up to.

As stated you can do everything in a stock jeep. They are just bumpy rocky roads, no real obstacles. Imogene does have one or two short spots that give you a little Jeep fun, but nothing serious. Pughkeepsie has one small obstacle that can be done stock, but you might not get up it without lowering your tire pressure and/or lockers. You don't HAVE to have a winch.

I Jeep all the trails all summer, and most of it alone, so don't worry about it if you don't find anyone to group with. These trails are very popular and there will be plenty of other vehicles on them. Just bring some snack and drinks with you, camera, and a jacket if you get cold.

The beer garden in Ouray is a definite must to soak up the views and have a big cold beer.

Last edited by A2thaK; 05-13-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

I just moved to Montrose, CO and I'm looking to hit as many of the trails that I can fit in this summer. Send me a PM when you get closer to the drive out. Schedule permitting, I'll meet up with you for some of the trails.

Do you have a CB in your rig? That would be very helpful.

DougC
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Great info Ranger492 - Because of this very thread, I am now considering the Alpine Loop but was curious if a stock JKU could take it on. Are you in the San Miguel/San Juan area? I certainly do not want to take the Alpine Loop alone.....
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

@ A2thak - Would you be willing to meet up sometime this summer and lead the family and I around the Alpine Loop?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Will be spending the summer (July-Sept.) just south of Montrose. We have run all the passes in the Ouray/Silverton Area and it is great fun. Let us know if you want to go out sometime. I am NOT a rockcrawler, just like the trail rides and scenery. I have a '13 JK 2 dr Rubi.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by exoduster18
Great info Ranger492 - Because of this very thread, I am now considering the Alpine Loop but was curious if a stock JKU could take it on. Are you in the San Miguel/San Juan area? I certainly do not want to take the Alpine Loop alone.....

Thank you. Yes, I live in immediate area. I am actively involved in the area trails each year, (tomorrow morning I'm going to help clear the snow off one of the Jeep trails). (I edited my first post.)

Gather information, do your own research and make the prudent decisions that will allow you and your family to have the best vacation ever.

Last edited by Ranger492; 05-14-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

THIS THREAD ROCKS! Thank you guys for the great info and trip planning tips just what i needed.

I'm glad to hear a stock JK has no issues clearing the Alpine loop and some surrounding trails. I like the idea of taking black bear into Tride also.

Can someone who lives in the area map a route on google maps and paste it on here? I doubt g-maps has any jeep trails marked out but i would be interested to see the overall trip distance and any nearby towns i should consider spending the night in. I read ouray, telluride and silverton are some great places to stop?

A few questions:
  • Are there books, maps, blogs or trail maps regarding the san juan's and the alpine loop?
  • Camping suggestions on the Alpine or just stay at a hotel?
  • What top three mods should i consider for my Jeep and trip to the San Juans? (i.e. lift, spare tire fuel caddy, CB radio..)?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A2thaK
A few more suggestions:

Imogene Pass. My favorite trail in the area. It gets up above 13,000' and the views are amazing. Plus, hanging out in Telluride and getting lunch is a great stop. If possible, do Black Bear into Tride, then Imogene back, but it will be a long day. Black Bear is not all that it is cracked up to be. It is not techincal at all, and the narrow part and the switchbacks aren't bad. The local guides take full size pickup trucks with tourists riding in the bed down it all the time. Although, I wouldn't do it in the rain...that could be sketchy. Both trails have amazing views. If you don't do Black Bear, but go to Tride, make sure to drive up to Bridal Veil Falls. Also, if you don't do Black Bear I would do Imogene to Tride, eat lunch, walk around town,see Bridal Veil Falls, the drive down the road to Ophir, take Ophir Pass back to 550, then drive 550 back to Ouray.

As Ranger suggested, do corkscrew pass, although I like to do it coming from Silverton, so I'm going down the switchbacks rather than up them. It will kind of give you a taste of what Black Bear is like. I'd recommend to drive to Silverton to Animas Forks. Go up California Gulch to do California Pass to Hurricane to Corkscrew.

Placer and Picayune gulches are worth checking out as well. Also Clear Lake by Silverton is pretty cool to Jeep up to.

As stated you can do everything in a stock jeep. They are just bumpy rocky roads, no real obstacles. Imogene does have one or two short spots that give you a little Jeep fun, but nothing serious. Pughkeepsie has one small obstacle that can be done stock, but you might not get up it without lowering your tire pressure and/or lockers. You don't HAVE to have a winch.

I Jeep all the trails all summer, and most of it alone, so don't worry about it if you don't find anyone to group with. These trails are very popular and there will be plenty of other vehicles on them. Just bring some snack and drinks with you, camera, and a jacket if you get cold.

The beer garden in Ouray is a definite must to soak up the views and have a big cold beer.

I just printed this out and i'm gonna review it tonight with a map on hand -thanks!

Beer garden sounds great i'm in! haha

Can i ask, how much time or days should i block out to be in the San Juans if I want to do the Alpine loop, see some towns and enjoy the trails at my own pace? That's a tough question to answer but for some background my gf and I are just looking to be outside, enjoy the scenery and put the Jeep through its paces, cross a few streams etc. She has a travel blog and we'll be covering this trip in it's every detail. Me? I just wanna Jeep around the mountains lol...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ranger492
Have a fun, safe trip to the San Juans.....it will be a trip you'll remember for the rest of your life.
Your first post was awesome. To be honest i'll remember owning this jeep for a long time too. It's enabled me to do things i never thought i'd do -case in point, this trip. I tell my friends it's not about the jeep it's the lifestyle and people you share that with. The JK is a middle man!

Let me ask you, there's a Jeep jamboree at about the same time I'll be going in September. Is better to go at your own pace or with a larger group? I've never been to a Jamboree before but I also have no issues going alone or with some local jeepers who know the way.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dzine07
I just printed this out and i'm gonna review it tonight with a map on hand -thanks!

Beer garden sounds great i'm in! haha

Can i ask, how much time or days should i block out to be in the San Juans if I want to do the Alpine loop, see some towns and enjoy the trails at my own pace? That's a tough question to answer but for some background my gf and I are just looking to be outside, enjoy the scenery and put the Jeep through its paces, cross a few streams etc. She has a travel blog and we'll be covering this trip in it's every detail. Me? I just wanna Jeep around the mountains lol...
i did the alpine loop several years ago, awesome scenery. It's been a while but i think the first day was Ouray to engineers pass, then poughkeepsie gulch-lake como, animas forks and the southern route over cinnamon pass to lake city. Second day was lake city via northern route to animas forks then to silverton. third day was silverton over corkscrew pass back to the million dollar highway. all easily doable in a stock JK, except that a locker and lift helped in the obstacle in poughkeepsie gulch - i believe that obstacle is more difficult today, the colorado responders should be able to tell you about that.

i was there in august during the monsoon season and a thundershower came in like clockwork every day around 1 pm. then it cleared up. don't know if september is the same, but i wouldn't do it without a top on.

the hotels/motels fill up so it's good to plan well in advance and make reservations early.

definitely one of the most beautiful and best four wheel drive trips i've been on.

Quick Reply: How should I prepare for Colorado?