Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Lift Options

Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Options

Hey, my Jeep is my first car, and for my senior project, I want to lift it and put 35s on it. I was thinking a Zone Offroad 3 inch lift kit with nitro shocks, but the main question I have is, will I need an alignment? Also, feel free to tell me your opinions on affordable tires and other lift options. I don't necessarily want to make my Jeep unreliable, but if I can avoid spending when I don't have to, that is also best.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You need to research and grasp caster. That is the thing to wrap your head around, and what makes most lifted jeeps drive like crap. "Budget friendly" lift don't usually account for raising the caster again once you lift it. In fact, most "budget friendly" lifts are "budget friendly" because they are somewhat incomplete in regards to parts....which keeps that sticker price lower. If the kit you finally pull the trigger on does not have a means to re-adjust the caster, a set of control arm brackets will suit you well. If this jeep is a vehicle you'll have for a long time, I'd stress that it's worth buying the best quality components you can afford. Over time the additional cost will be minimal, and you'll be happier you did.

There's not much an alignment shop will do for you besides adjust your toe and recenter your steering wheel; however, it is useful to have their print outs with the specs so you can adjust things accordingly, so sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 4" cheap lift on my 2013 JKU...I believe it was a Mammoth lift from Extreme Terrain. I did get an alignment and also added rough country's drop brackets for the front "non-adjustable" control arms. I ran 315's on stock rims and the Jeep drove like stock. No vibrations, wandering, bump-steer, etc. If you're going with the Zone lift and would like to keep things under budget, I'd get the drop brackets for the front control arms...it will make driving a whole lot easier...oh and don't forget the exhaust spacers so your stock drive shafts can clear when wheeling.

Last edited by jkubeast; 01-04-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You need to research and grasp caster. That is the thing to wrap your head around, and what makes most lifted jeeps drive like crap. "Budget friendly" lift don't usually account for raising the caster again once you lift it. In fact, most "budget friendly" lifts are "budget friendly" because they are somewhat incomplete in regards to parts....which keeps that sticker price lower. If the kit you finally pull the trigger on does not have a means to re-adjust the caster, a set of control arm brackets will suit you well. If this jeep is a vehicle you'll have for a long time, I'd stress that it's worth buying the best quality components you can afford. Over time the additional cost will be minimal, and you'll be happier you did.

There's not much an alignment shop will do for you besides adjust your toe and recenter your steering wheel; however, it is useful to have their print outs with the specs so you can adjust things accordingly, so sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Thanks, that really helped. By the time that summer’s up I’ll have extra cash so I’ll probablt just get a new, adjustable track bar, but I’ll have to do some more research
Old 01-04-2018, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkubeast
I put a 4" cheap lift on my 2013 JKU...I believe it was a Mammoth lift from Extreme Terrain. I did get an alignment and also added rough country's drop brackets for the front "non-adjustable" control arms. I ran 315's on stock rims and the Jeep drove like stock. No vibrations, wandering, bump-steer, etc. If you're going with the Zone lift and would like to keep things under budget, I'd get the drop brackets for the front control arms...it will make driving a whole lot easier...oh and don't forget the exhaust spacers so your stock drive shafts can clear when wheeling.
Yeah I’ll definitely remember the exhaust spacers, I think they come with the kit, but by the time summer’s up I’ll probaly have extra cash so I might just get a new control arm but thanks for the help and insight
Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MonztrM

Thanks, that really helped. By the time that summer’s up I’ll have extra cash so I’ll probablt just get a new, adjustable track bar, but I’ll have to do some more research
Take a look at this thread.....there's some good caster talk in there, good profile pic of axle that helps clarify the idea if you're not familiar with caster, and the video link in post #19 gives you a good real world example of why caster is important.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-bends-343251/
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A simple 2.5" TeraFlex Spring lift fits 35s without a problem, and the caster isn't too far off from where it should be, so front lower arms are pretty optional at the height you'll yeild. That's usually my top recommendation to get 35s under it with good ride quality that is a decent budget.

Feel free to contact me for forum member pricing on this one; https://www.offroadelements.com/tera...ngler-jk-2007/
Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

In case you are still looking for the lift kit, you may want to read our tech article dedicated to lifting JK Wranglers: How much lift is needed for larger tires on my 2007-up Jeep Wrangler?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Great info here seeing as I did not even think about the caster after the lift. I just added a control arm correction bracket to my list. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mikma'q
Great info here seeing as I did not even think about the caster after the lift. I just added a control arm correction bracket to my list. Thank you.
It has to be the #1 overlooked thing when lifting. Unfortunately, many people don't know what they don't know, so they lift, have a crappy ride, and chaulk it up to "oh, it's just a lifted jeep thing", when often times for a meager ~$100, they could greatly remedy the situation. Adjustable control arms would be the best method, but many people can't justify that cost. Control arm brackets are a great option that are more budget friendly, and unless you play in the big rocks, there's not much downside to em. You lose a bit of clearance, but most people don't even notice as their wheelin' is on the lighter side or nonexistent.

Quick Reply: Lift Options