Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Need advice on STEEP roads with ICE!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phimosis
It's greek.
means "let me out!"
Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewstokes80
Damnit I had to look it up. Damn wikipedia and their pictures.
Your statement cracked me up.
( Now I wished that I hadn't looked it up there, either! Damn! )
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lmao I had to look it up also. Good snow tires and knowing how your vehicle reacts is what it's all about. Chains are such a pain, I live in Missouri and have driven my jeep through a snowstorm last week and an ice storm last year, (granted its clear a few days adter, missouri weather) it's all about knowing how your vehicle reacts! I've also driven mountain passes in Afghanistan, it's all about the basics.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

This is a major issue where I live. There are lots of steep hills (think San Fran) and the roads are completely covered with ice, because the snow melts during the day and freezes back at night. The city doesn't even bother trying to clean the roads.

With my stock sra's airing down makes a huge difference. I usually run about 25 psi. The most important thing is just go slow on the way down and try to predict where momentum will take you when you lose traction. Avoid other cars like the plague, because there's nothing more dangerous than an idiot in a camry out on these roads. Going up is easier but be sure and maintain momentum. Try and straight line curves as much as possible. My jeep does really well out here even without winter tires, but you just have to be super careful.

I researched chains on this forum and elsewhere and there was a lot of
disagreement whether they're safe on a stock jk or not. I remember something about chains damaging brake lines. Plus like others said it's a hassle to take them on and off all the time.

Google Vladivostok winter driving or something similar if you want to see some YouTube videos of what not to do. I'll post some videos later if I have time.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Here are a couple videos from where I live on what NOT to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMxknAIk_9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEsMVVouyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuRCA...eature=related
Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Phimosis

It's greek.
Fuc....ing he'll! I mistakenly looked this up on wikipedia. That is nasty! You either have the worst or best screen name ever
Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Many good comments above. Ice is completely unforgiving. If you can't keep your speed down because of too much gravity and too little traction, the ditch becomes your only choice. Hopefully the ditch is 2 feet deep and not 200.

Four cable chains can be a lifesaver (literally) on ice. Chains made of chain are for deep snow and overkill on ice, as well as being big, heavy, rusty, and a PITA to put on. Studs can help a lot, but the Nittos don't have stud holes AFAIK.

First thing I would do is get those Nittos siped ASAP. This will give you a bit of an edge on ice, and give better traction when that road is wet also. On a day when you didn't think chains were needed, siped tires can make the difference between a bad day and a good one. This is especially true when the temp is close to the freezing point and the ice is greasy.

If your JK is an automatic and you have the hill descent assist, use it. It does an amazing job of applying speed control and anti-lock sensors to let the Jeep down steep and slippery downhills.

When there is a chance of ice, try to make the drive when the temp is coldest, or wait until it thaws. Ice at 20 degrees has a tiny bit of traction, but ice at 32 degrees is just greased snot. I've gotten out of the rig on 32 degree ice to see why in hell there was so little control and fell flat on my ass. No wonder I couldn't drive on it!

One last thought: 4WD can make you go on slippery stuff, and it gives you 2 (or 4 with lockers) wheels of engine braking - but 4WD doesn't make the brake pedal work any better and it can actually make the steering work worse on ice because the front wheel(s) may slip due to engine braking or accelerataion.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jassheets

That's good stuff!!! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dinojeep
Dude, phimosis, what the h is up with your screen name?
Reminds me - I usta have a wool turtle neck sweater. Damn thing shrunk and I couln't get it over my head anymore. . . .

Quick Reply: Need advice on STEEP roads with ICE!