Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Never rely on your GPS alone....

Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Never rely on your GPS alone....

Here's someone else's stupid mistake that others can learn from... Goes to show, you always need to be prepared!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20..._lost_convoy_1
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fairly certain they were using a street gps such as tom tom. Not an GPS with topo maps like a Garmin 60CSX or Earthmate PN-20.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used sat phones and GPS before. Great gadgets, but the old maxim remains:

A declination adjusting compass with a good map will never run outta batteries.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JeepinMass
Fairly certain they were using a street gps such as tom tom. Not an GPS with topo maps like a Garmin 60CSX or Earthmate PN-20.
I'm sure you are right-- but even my Garmin CSX has failed me at times. And, to just go without any understanding of road conditions or a thought of bringing extra gas... well, that's a good recipe for problems.

I had MapQuest direct me onto an off-road trail once when I was in my grandma's Honda Civic. I didn't get very far before I decided that it was best to turn around.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by toad
Doesn't help if we don't have gas though.
Bingo.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

But I can't run out of gas because I am always saving gas. I keep my tires properly inflated! I'm a politically responsible person I'll have you know.

And on a serious note, don't trust your map either. Took a back way in the mountains of Pennsylvania. It was a road on the map. It even had a name. But there were these trees growing between the tracks.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! I taught Wilderness Search and Rescue for decades and it was mandatory that every student not simply learn but absolutely KNEW HOW to do intersection and resection with a map and compass...no exceptions including those with the GPS receivers! The basic wilderness terrain doesn't change that much...draws are draws, rivers are rivers, valley's are valley's, etc. Knowing how to shoot a azimuth (or three) will point out your location and you can plan your route from there. (Okay I know someone's thinking...what if it's dark?) Learn to settle in for the night and stay warm. Not going to get into a long survival discussion here. Long story - short, I agree completely with the authors well made point...do not rely soley on an electronic device that can fail for any number of reasons. Take care... Mike
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

But there is no substitute for common sense -- "'People can start down a nice, graded dirt road and it can soon turn into boulders and deep washes, but they continue driving instead of turning around'"
Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by zoomzoomjr
But there is no substitute for common sense --
There is nothing common about it.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

I live 2.5 miles up a one lane gravel road off a paved, two lane highway. A mile past my place, the road becomes a series of logging roads with gates and steep terrain for the next 40 miles in three directions.

Earlier this year, there was a knock on my door about 8:PM. It had been raining cats and dogs for a week, the creeks were near overflowing and you couldn't see your hand in front of you face. I don't even get visits from Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses during nice weather, but there was a drenched Dish Network TV installer on my porch.

His GPS had bypassed the paved highway that was four miles away in favor of the turnoff to my gravel road and tried to route him 10 miles over the logging roads, many of which are locked and gated. He had been stumbling around in his 2WD van for hours, fording creeks and mucking up some of the local hippie's cash crops. His van was trashed (bent tie rod at the very least) and he still had to get to this remote cabin and do one more install before he could call it a night.

I called the people for him to verify their location and gave him a printed Google map before sending him on his pigeon toed way. Personally, I think GPSs are great for what they do, but you got to know your limitations.

Quick Reply: Never rely on your GPS alone....